Glueing PCB's Together

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you have to rough up the unclad PCB surface if you want the new epoxy to bond to it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

What took you so long? I was using syringes 35 years ago.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It'd also be nice to have a big press to keep pressure on the assembly while the epoxy cures, and maybe even to keep it flat.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In the US, you can't get medical syringes without a prescription, unless you're on good terms with the local pusher. ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sometimes I use lead-acid batteries or a big bucket of water as a weight. Also..I've glued other stuff together using thick glass plates with clamps.. Good flatness and heavy. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Over here.. I can get the syringes... but my supplier doesn't carry the twist on needle tips.. As a practical joke, the next time I buy syringes ...I'll do lots of shaking :P "H hhh hhhh ow www m mmmmm uch?" D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

You can buy syringes, just not the needles.

--
  Keith
Reply to

That depends on what state one lives in, KiethKeithStain. Is there anything that you *do* have a clue about?

Reply to
JackShephard

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I know that in gluing wood with epoxy,too much pressure clamping squeezes out too much epoxy and the joint is weaker due to glue starvation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

MassivelyWrong, strikes again.

--
  Keith
Reply to

D from BC wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Oral syringes are cheap at drugstores,readily available. You don't need a needle for glue. the object is precise measurement of resin/hardener,important for a good cure. Actually,its better to use less hardener than too much.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

ORAL syringes. for giving medicine to kids.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Glue syringes, for what else...

  Keith
Reply to
krw

If you're going to use that stuff you may as well just use super glue.

Super glue has good dilectric qualities (I've used it for EHT cable repair on monitors)

I expect that in quantity the price is similar for either product.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

I've been thinking about that... I have 0.1mm glass micropheres to control the bond thickness if needed. For clamping...I've decided to use ceramic magnets. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Actually you can buy industrial (non-sterile) syringes and blunt needles in most big cities and through Internet delivered most anywhere. Where there is decent industry, you can find them over the counter. (in the US and Canada, at least, maybe most of Europe as well)

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Gee, i was using epoxy (over the counter everywhere, at the time and place) in the middle 1960's. Then again that was in San Jose, CA, USA; later to be known as part of Silicon Valley.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I grew up in a steel town of 50,000, where the only locally available epoxy was in paint. I could have ordered it and waited weeks, but the equipment was needed the next day and the can of Bondo was already sitting in the garage at home. About six months after I did that repair, two part epoxy was finally available in a local store.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida