the

data

getting

programming on

physical

grab

doing

doesn't

You just may end up using an PRi or BBB or maybe that zync thing anyway, because you cannot do realtime on a PC. The busses aren't designed to support that. Processor speed is just one factor for realtime, and not often a dominant one.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

You should keep in mind that the mass storage does not need to work in "real time". It only needs to keep up with an average throughput as long as you have enough buffer RAM in the system.

BTW, what was your sample rate and bit width again? I can't seem to find that post. I seem to recall that you are sampling more than one channel, no? Will all of this be moving over the same SPI bus? SPI typically runs at about 10 Mbps. Will your CPU need to control multiple SPI ports?

--

Rick
Reply to

IF he uses a USB to FTDI board he's using an embedded system anyway. It sounds like real-time is not an issue here.

When I tried using a USB Labjack for GPIO it worked but the latency was too high and the speeds were too low. A Pi was much cheaper and much faster.

Reply to
sms

No, it's not lacking: there are two, actually. TI has one and someone ported GCC to PRU:

As for connecting BBB to PC, collect a buffer on BBB and send it over via USB or Ethernet? What bandwidth do you need?

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

Only six years late, but I too was looking for something like what you described, and I found this.

natewestervelt

On a sunny day (Sat, 13 Jun 2020 19:35:02 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

To get I/O from my more modern PCs I have cheap parport cards I used those I/O for example to program PICs and test i2c and spi chips.

Something like this:

Jan Panteltje

Interesting. Here's some Linux data on the card. Its WCH382 datasheet's apparently only available in Chinese.

Presumably you connect GPIO to P3 and P4, while U4 and U5 remain unused.

Danke,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

Looks good. FTDI devices connected to a USB port are a fine way to do IO from a PC. They are easily controlled from Python (or any other convenient language of your choice). I haven't used that particular board, but I've used plenty of FTDI chips like that.

Reply to
David Brown