Li-ion shelf life

Once upon a time a chem-type told me a Li-Ion cell's electrodes went irreversibly into solution if the cell was allowed to drop too low for too long, and the all-knowing internet confirmed it. Plus I had a large number of actual cells gone high-Z to prove it.

Appears t'ain't so any more. I just charged some cells with a 1998 date code, stored at 0v for several years at least, and measure full capacity.

Who'da thunkit?

My OmniBook 600c--the fastest computer I own--will be very pleased.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yep, that's the standard warning. I've killed a few LiIon batteries doing that: Are you sure that the battery is LiIon instead of NiMH? Both were available for the 600c.

It's a miracle, or the battery has a built in protection circuit that disconnects the cells from the load when it drops below some threshold.

Duz the charged battery now hold a normal charge?

I have two HP Omnibooks with accessories sitting in the office closet. I used to use them for running ancient Motorola radio programming software, that would only run on a 386/486 class machine. I'll check out the batteries, but I think it's the NiMH flavor, not LiIon.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

AT&B LGR18650P.

Could be.

The *cells* were at zero volts.

Yes, they measure full capacity, as already reported.

I use the 600c like a book. The "sleep" button knocks it out before you can get your finger off the key, it sleeps for months on a charge, then wakes instantly, right where you left off.

Magnificent.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat