Fuses for the golden-eared boys

And heaven forbid you should plug and unplug enough times to wear the gold plating off the brass friction female terminals - they would then be totally useless or the missing gold plating would introduce intolerable distortion. Oh, and of course, the brass pins on the equipment lead plug would also have to be gold plated to eliminate dissimilar metal contact distortion :-)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Those are Zero Ohm fusible links if I'm not mistaken, just in case the fuse doesn't do its job.

And did you notice the soldered connections on the board are tin-lead and the transformer connectors are zinc passivated 1/4" QC types - a great source of non-linear contact distortion. Then the power transformer uses copper wire which would just have to introduce extreme distortion - but then, perhaps I am mistaken and the copper wire is actually polarised and grain orientated and this cancels out non-linear artefacts in the AC current, however, I feel that it should have at least been gold or silver-plated wire to achieve the best audio performance.

The fuse-holder contacts also look like they are on-edge wiper contacts which reduce the contact area to the fuse end caps to a very small area indeed. Surely the reviewer (Paul Candy) would have noticed these obvious points which could be modified so as to maximise the audio performance even more than that due to the Isoclean fuse itself :-)

Reply to
Ross Herbert

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:45:33 -0500) it happened "DaveM" wrote in :

I have no words for this. the poor sucker who buys it, I have pity on him. But then he must have 2 much $$ anyways. Wonder how much they sell of that stuff. Wonder if Bill Gates has these as standard outlet in his house ;-) No he is not that daft I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Dec 2006 18:23:00 -0500) it happened Mike Monett wrote in :

I thought are there any gold plated power stations?, but then I had this business idea: Golden generators. Runs on gasoline. Adds that nice low frequency warm sound.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's why you need solid gold, then the plating can't wear off.

Reply to
Chris Jones

tell by

Actually, they are jumpers - see the single black stripe ;-)

Reply to
Jeff L

No, that was a fisherman, it was a .22, and it hit him in the testicle. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Isn't real, live, "solid gold" so soft you can scratch it with your thumbnail?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think so, but then there's more gold underneath, so that's ok, and when it wears out you can buy more. Perfect for the audiophool.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

If I got 0.0000001 Cents for every time a Microsoft product crashed I'd be.......

Bill Gates,

Oh.... Bugger :-(

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Ermmm......... They don't look very non-inductively wound to me. That's got to mess up the clarity of your Ukulele.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

"Fred Bartoli" wrote in message news:45702dba$0$25920$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...