Fun with Lead-Free soldering

Benzene etc in ground water is not good either, but it isn't as mobile as MTBE.

The problem with MTBR seems not that it is so toxic, but that it has a very strong taste.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

good

we

either

amount

hooded

but

work?

and

reasonable

since

then

It's allowed in small concentrations.

IIRC, RoHS allows a 0.2% by weight limit for lead to be concidered lead free.

Reply to
Jeff

Shop? It's a lab. Nothing is production oriented.

I began taking ESD seriously a few years ago, and at least use wrist straps and grounded table mats, as well as designing-in features for ESD tolerance for my gadgets. I am still laughed at by my fellow technologists for the most part for considering ESD to be a worthwhile hazard to spend effort mitigating.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Heh heh, well we are the government, so we make the rules. Seriously though, as I explained there are labs, where food is not permitted. There are "technician work areas" outside the labs, where food is permitted and so is soldering, just not on the same table. Then there are offices. We techs don't get offices, nor do we get extra facilities for soldering. Thus, if this really goes forward, it will create headaches as rooms will have to be allocated for soldering. Or it could be done in labs, but they are already fairly packed. Fortunately my department has an extra "electronics storage and assembly room" that I've been setting up for a while.

Even in offices? Jeez.

They will be banned!

;-)

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

I don't like no-clean, but that's all Kester offered with SAC alloy. I will be getting some AIM SAC or CASTIN wire with RMA.

Have you ever tried water-clean flux in cored wire?

Perhaps you are right.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

At least tramway (streetcar) systems are opening at a spectacular rate in the US.

Over here (UK) every single tram proposal is fought tooth-and-nail by the bus lobby who have been promising the politicians that pollution-free buses are just around the corner for deacades. The politicans keep falling for it time and again and the tramway projects keep on being shelved while they wait for deliveries of new buses - which are no better than the old ones.

They've even had the cheek to name a diesel bus with a fibreglass replica tram body a "Streetcar" - and the local tram plans have been set back another five years whilst the Local Councillors investigate it.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Chris Carlen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

A "lab" is still a "shop",short for "workshop". Eating should not be allowed in either a lab or a shop.

When I worked in the USAF Precision Measurement Equipment Lab(PMEL),our "lab" was cleaner than the base hospital.We entered through an airlock and trod across a "sticky mat" to keep dirt out.Friday afternoon was clean-up period,where we damp-mopped the entire place,shelves,floors,anywhere dust would accumulate.And the air was tested to measure the number of dust particles per square cm.It was temperature and humidity controlled,monitored with chart recorders.

What do you wrap your food in? What is it carried in? Are you bringing plastic bags or non-anti-static plastic boxes into your "anti-static" area?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Doesn't say much for the supposed 'technologists' !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Chris,

Usually only until something happens. Then a few decision makers are going to be in hot water.

No. There are lab areas, office areas and eating areas. I bet my clients wouldn't appreciate a grease stain on a schematic ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg
[...]

My car runs on biodiesel made from waste cooking oil. I read somewhere that if all the present vegetable oil production were used as fuel then that would only displace 10% or so of the diesel use but I don't know if that is true. According to my measurements, my car does on average 4.4 litres/100km (53 MPG US) It is unmodified. Maybe if there were less cars around that can only do 20MPG then there would be less difficulty in finding enough biodiesel to power them.

I think people should stop trying to make hydrogen cars and only start again when (and if) they've figured out how to make hydrogen (without nuclear or fossil fuel).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

An interesting point. I can only recall a few employers or clients where there was a canteen and only one with a dedicated 'kitchen' of any size.

I'm entirely used to eating at the desk and it seems commonplace in the UK.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Graham,

That surprises me. With all this ISO stuff we had to designate all areas. Tape lines on the floors and the whole nine yards. You can't even store anything in an area that isn't a dedicated materials storage location. And here I thought this whole ISO biz originated in Europe where all these other wonderful bureaucratic hurdles come from, like ROHS or WEEE.

In the US it's more regulated. There is also occupational safety and health (OSHA). I bet if they caught several people eating in a tech or production area they would not be too enthused.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:DIRCe.655$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

I hate it when the can of Coke spills all over everything..... and crumbs in the keyboard....then the ants move in....

B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In article , Chris Jones wrote: [...]

Gerbil spins wheel which turns generator which sends power to a pickle jar with water in it. See the pretty bubbles?

Actually solar input would be the best if we could make it work well.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

While going to college the second time, I worked as a production test tech in the era of discrete TTL devices, but before much recognition was given to ESD control. After a while, I began to recognize a common type of failure, in which a 74LS04 inverter would got sort of half-on. This typically occurred where the output in question was routed directly to a card I/O connection finger. I found my time was most efficiently used by getting the assembler to replace all the 04's that were connected off-board on assemblies that had that problem.

Note: after removing the baddies and soldering on the new parts, the assembler would clean the board in an ultrasonic tank full of TCE, then bring it to me still dripping.

Reply to
Richard Henry

It is not just the making of the hydrogen, but also the storage that is a huge problem.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

If you're talking ISO9000, then these are limitations that you imposed on yourself. We have a rather large cafeteria (500 occupancy, IIRC) and vending rooms with tables, but people regularly eat in their offices. The lab? Dunno, haven't been in there in a long time. ;-)

I can't see that OSHA has any beef here. I suppose it depends on what sort of "production area".

--
  Keith
Reply to

Each carbon atom will attach to 4 hydrogen atoms. The resulting material can be stored by compressing it and transports well through pipes. If you use a chain of 8 carbon atoms, you can store 18 hydrogen atoms per each. This would make the idea fuel for automotive and portable applications.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Lol ! That pretty much sums it up.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Again, that's self-imposed.

So you live with pigs. I never leave food debris in my office. I take it down to a "vending area" or cafeteria where the trash gets emptied several times a day. The do a shit job of vacuuming the carpet though.

--
  Keith
Reply to