frightening

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 2:00:55 AM UTC-4, Jasen Betts wrote:

Corn and soy are grown in only a handful of geographically contiguous state s in the U.S. The weather during the growing season of 2014 was atypical, i t could have easily gone the other way. The long term average of crop yield will be the deciding factor as to the effects of global warming. The previ ous USDA paper I linked shows that decline in yield due to detrimental pert urbations of ideal growing conditions are nonlinearily steeper than yield i mprovement due to beneficial climatic perturbations, so it doesn't take a r ocket scientist to understand the long term average yield will go into decl ine.

"Understanding climate effects on crop yield has been a continuous endeavor aiming at improving farming technology and management strategy, minimizing negative climate effects, an d maximizing positive climate effects on yield. Many studies have examined climate effects on corn yield in different regions of the United States. However, most of those studies used yield and climate records that were shorter than 10 years and were for different years and localities. Although results of those studies showe d various influences of climate on corn yield, they could be time specific and have been difficult to use for deriv ing a comprehensive understanding of climate effects on corn yield. In this study, climate effects on corn yield in central Missouri are examined using unique long-term (1895?1998) datasets of both corn yield and climat e. Major results show that the climate effects on corn yield can only be explained by within-season variations in rainfall and temperature and cannot be distinguished by average growing-season conditions. Moreover, the growin g-season distributions of rainfall and temperature for high-yield years are characterized by less rainfall and warmer temperature in the planting period, a rapid increase in rainfall, and more rainfall and warmer temperat ures during germination and emergence. More rainfall and cooler-than-average temperatures are key features in the anthesis and kernel-filling periods from June through August, followed by less rainfall and warmer temperatures during the September and early October ripening time. Opposite variations in rainfall and temperature in t he growing season correspond to low yield. Potential applications of these results in understanding how climate change may affect corn yield in the region also are discussed."

All of the plant science research on the effects of CO2 indicate the uptake is already saturated.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

This is astonishing:

It reminds me of the great BP Gulf oil spill. What happened to all that oil and methane? Critters ate it.

You lived in New Orleans: it's like France, they'll eat anything down there. If Chernobyl had happened in France, those fungi would be served in four-star restaurants.

Kinda what I was saying.

Reply to
jurb6006

Been said that they will eat what we call the Orkin Man for. A joke but pre tty true.

And nobody beats the Israelis in that shit. They had a problem with locusts and some Jews figured out a way to cook them and sell them, and people wer e eating them. Actually I think that is some damn good thinking. If people will eat them, hell you know they are free range. Probably the most nutriti ous thing in the world ! Really.

Shit, when you eat shellfish, what is that ? Barnacles ?

Oh boy, them Jews better consult with a Rabbi before opening up the chain o f locust restaurants. They'll have to make sure this new dish is Kosher. If it is, it is probably also Halal (sp) so they can sell it in Palestine and make a fortune.

Reply to
jurb6006

How would you measure the difference? Would the W/M^2 on the earth's surface increase?

Reply to
gray_wolf

Eventually the sun will become a red giant and fry Earth, or even expand into contact with Earth. We'll need to move the planet to a higher orbit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:10:43 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

We will all be bacon crisps long before that time comes.

That is not possible.

In *this* solar system, Mars is our ONLY hope of surviving when those centuries come to pass. And as the Sun actually begins to go Red Giant, living on Mars will also not be possible.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's not only possible, it's easy. It will take a while, but we have lots of time.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When I was there they decided to eat nutria. Pretty tasty, I heard, but it never caught on. If nutria liked those fungi, they could be the next great thing--fungi-fed nutria.

Now they just need something that eats cockroaches.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Your post could be interpreted that way, or as a simple denial.

I made the point explicit. If you been all that clever in the first place, you could have done that too.

"Brighter" is ambiguous in the original context. I didn't disambiguate it in my original post, because it didn't matter to my argument how the sun has delivered more heat the earth in recent (billions of) years.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You'd probably measure the difference by putting a radiometer in orbit.

Since anthropogenic global warming works by raising the effective radiating latitude higher into the earth's atmosphere, measuring the Watts per square metre at sea-level probably isn't a useful approach.

The proposition that the sun is heating us more now than it did a few billion years ago doesn't seem to be based on direct observation but rather on astrophysics - stars like the sun seem to evolve in a tolerably predictable way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It would be difficult, but shouldn't be beyond a sufficiently advanced tech nology.

Homo Erectus is the longest surviving human species so far - they lasted 2 million years.

The earth is likely to remain habitable for another billion years ago, and it's unlikely that we'll be around then. Re-engineered humans, with error-d etecting and -correcting codes built into the DNA might last that long, but we wouldn't be able to breed with them, so they'd be a different species, and probably a lot of different species, each engineered for a different ec ological niche in this solar system. We might even colonise other solar sys tems (if they haven't colonised us first).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Locusts (of certain species) are halal and kosher. There are disagreements on which species.

I'm not sure selling anything to Palestine is a road to riches.. but there are > 1.5bn other Muslisms who might buy a tasty locust burger and of course there's nothing stopping hungry Xtians and many others from chowing down.

Fast food is frequently modified for the market- I think this Emirates "Tower" burger looks pretty good (as far as BK food goes), for only DHS 17 ea. So why not a locust burger?

Some Aussie boffin has suggested renaming them "sky prawns" to make them more acceptable to Western sensibilities.

There's this little fella too:

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

That's great. The price doubles when you call them "prawns."

pretty true.

sts and some Jews figured out a way to cook them and sell them, and people were eating them. Actually I think that is some damn good thinking. If peop le will eat them, hell you know they are free range. Probably the most nutr itious thing in the world ! Really.

n of locust restaurants. They'll have to make sure this new dish is Kosher. If it is, it is probably also Halal (sp) so they can sell it in Palestine and make a fortune.

ws

I had fried grasshoppers somewhere, either Africa or Asia (I can't remember ). They were very good, crunchy, salted. Tasted about like peanuts.

So if AGW favors bugs, we can always just eat bugs. The People Who Know Be tter (but who prefer caviar) are already saying we plebes should.

s/283970/

Suits me.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

An excellent idea. Chinese gooseberries became far more popular when they were dubbed "kiwi fruit".

Fried/BBQ'ed grasshoppers are a popular bar snack in much of Southeast Asia. I had some when my wife and I toured Laos last year. Quite good... the flavor is about halfway between BBQ'ed shrimp, and Fritos corn chips (I suspect the critters were raised on a diet of cornmeal).

Deep-fried tarantula legs (Cambodia) are similar in both taste and texture.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Can you herd grasshoppers? Cowboys become bugboys?

Does the world need saving?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

:

own

ut pretty true.

ocusts and some Jews figured out a way to cook them and sell them, and peop le were eating them. Actually I think that is some damn good thinking. If p eople will eat them, hell you know they are free range. Probably the most n utritious thing in the world ! Really.

hain of locust restaurants. They'll have to make sure this new dish is Kosh er. If it is, it is probably also Halal (sp) so they can sell it in Palesti ne and make a fortune.

_laws

ber).

Better

bugs/283970/

Roll 'em, roll 'em, keep them buggies rollin', rollin' rollin, rollin' raw----crick-ets! Don't try and understand 'em, Just rope, fry, and brand 'em, ...

(Needs work)

Funny, ain't it, how the people wanting to save the planet are ever the one s who wanna spend it into oblivion?

Anyone worried about humanity's effect on the planet needs to check out wha t their local rainforest does to ancient ruins in .75 to 1.2 jiffies. Or jus t visit Detroit, same same.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Already there: it's Luna. Just A/B compare the brightness of the reflection off the undisturbed solar-illuminated lunar surface with any conveniently located astral light source. Do it at night

Seriously, photosphere temperature and disc size are easily measured, and the Stefan-Boltzman radiation law is well established; solar measurements are routine.

Reply to
whit3rd

The earth's atmosphere is opaque at some wavelengths, and at those wavelengths you are measuring the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere, not that of the moon or the sun.

This does involved the assumption that the sun's surface is a perfect radiator, at all wavelengths. The fact that helium's absorptions lines were first observed in the solar spectrum does illustrate that point that this isn't entirely realistic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to