free current shunts

I was driving behind a handicap taxicab van yesterday, one with a lift thing in the back. There was big lettering that said

KEEP BACK 12 FT'

John

Keep back 12 square feet? That's like the back 40, only smaller. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's the Surveyor's Apostrophe.

John

Ah, I see, like the Cereal Comma.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Couldn't you get transformer oil? Water content is much lower than lube or hydraulic.

Shame.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I thort Remarque rote "Orl Kwyet On The Weston Frunt" :-)

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

Hal Murray

I was a high school student when I built that. Every cent counted. Tractor oil could be bought cheaply. Plus in hindsight I was kind of glad because transformer oil inside a dwelling for human beings can be nashty, on account of the polychlorinated biphenyls in there. One major kablouie and you'd have to evacuate.

Well, it did last around 30 years. That ain't bad. And all that was corroded was the bees wax bucket that must have been at least 30 years old when I got it back then. My low-inductance resistor array inside looked almost like new. Shoulda kept it

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's the fearsome Apostrophe Bird!

John

That's the first derivative of 12 FT.

Must be 12 FT/sec.

Live Faust, die Jung.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That should be "The Weston Shunt."

John

no

and

scrap

would

Good one.

Reply to
josephkk

AFAIK, PCBs haven't been used in transformer oils for decades, maybe longer in some parts of Europe. I was using transformer approved mineral oil thirty years ago, certified free from PCBs.

It was rumored that the French hung on to PCBs the longest :-O

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Well, I built this in Europe. In the 70's we still had plants that made Clophen (same thing). One was about 20 miles from where we lived, I could see the smoke stacks. At some point they banned PCBs there as well but when you are on a student budget you get such stuff at hamfests. You know, the big can that fell off the truck somewhere 20 years ago :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I gave my Weston shunts to these guys down in your area, along with the mirror voltmeter and several tube radios:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Are these the guys who used to have the museum on the Foothill College campus? I bought an HP sampling system from them. Foothill wanted the space and kicked them out.

John

I think so, but not sure. I was just glad that I found them so the old radios can live on. They'll use them in exhibits or they sell them off to raise money, either way they'll be in loving hands. So will the Weston shunts.