Followup -- auXiliary cell phone power source

A few days ago, I complained about my Motorola V557 phone discharging too quickly when I used it as a model (with a linux laptop and bluetooth). It also is way too slow to charge.

Since then, I bought an extra cheapo wall wart charger, cut its DC cord and found out the following:

1) Open circuit voltage is about 5.81 VDC 2) When charging, the voltage is about 5.61 VDC

I also experimented with my phone and a lab style HP DC power supply. I found out that the phone starts charging when voltage reaches approximately 4.8-4.9 volts.

So, my thinking goes, if I can get a power source that would be limited to about 5.6 volts, then I couls safely use that as a supplement to the cell phone battery. I would just take the plug from the cheapo charger mentioned above, solder it to that hypothetical source, and plug my phone into that.

I found out that eBay has plenty of 6V rated Nicad battery packs for remote controlled toys. There is plenty of new packs sold with 3 hr chargers.

So, I decided to buy a 6v pack/charger combo, and add a little voltage limiter so that the voltage that the phone sees, never exceeds

5.6v. That limiter can be a simple linear regulator type of thing, I will try to just buy some TO-220 chip on Digikey for simplicity. i
Reply to
Ignoramus27317

Reply to
Ignoramus27317