FMC/VITA 57

Hi,

Have you had a look at the new FMC standard (VITA 57)? It looks extremely promising as nowadays many designs are based on a simple FPGA with variations on the front pannel. Sofar I have only seen FMC developments for high perfomance plataforms based on Virtex5, but I feel that a great benefit would appear when using a flexible low budget carrier with flexible low cost front pannels.

Check this article for quick intro to VITA 57

What do you think?

Cheers

pablo

Reply to
palvarez

I think you are just another Google Groups cross-posting spammer, especially considering this is your only post to USENET.

nlpi059.nbdc.sbc.com!nlpi062.nbdc.sbc.com!prodigy.com!nlpi057.nbdc.sbc.com!prodigy.net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!t11g2000yqg.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail

GMT)

posting-account=g1u9fAoAAACpGZst4vQSI70Y1Alv9CUN

1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
--
The first big front wheel rollerblades.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/2565924423/

I am just using google groups as I could have used any other news reader. I do not know what is wrong with it.

Reply to
paas

Are you nym-shifting?

Reply to
John Doe

I just change my mind while creating my profile. It seems that there is some the alias update had a latency of some minutes. In any case I am very interested in knowing your opinions about FMC, and specially in its use with low cost FPGAs.

Cheers

pablo

Reply to
palvarez

Well the article doesn't go too deeply into the standard, but the basic idea makes sense. Many manufacturers already have proprietary mezzanine cards for doing exactly this. At Alacron, we use both standard and proprietary mezzanines. For example we use the "user defined" fourth connector of PMC to connect directly to our FPGA on the base card. Some of our add-on "PMC" modules don't have the PCI bus at all and just use this fourth connector.

On some of our newer boards we have proprietary mezzanines using high-speed connectors to add various font-end interfaces like analog VGA input or Camera Link. I imagine using a standard for these front-end cards would allow us to add third-party modules to quickly add more front-end interfaces. Of course this all depends on the details, which are not in the article.

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Is Vita-57 an approved standard?

Here's an alternative that has been in use for more than 2 years:

It was developed and is now used by Avnet for FPGA development boards and expansion modules, but the specification is public for anyone to use.

nic

Reply to
nicmo92

John Doe is a troll. Ignore him. I plonked him long ago.

Your post is on-topic and valuable. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

You can get the pinout from Xilinx, they use it on a dev board. However, I've been trying to get the proper spec from VITA for ages but it hasn't been formerly released yet. Presumably VMETRO & Xilinx are VITA members and have a pre-release.

Colin

Reply to
colin

Hi,

In principle on can get the specs from

I have also tried to get it this week but there is an unusual delay..

Cheers

pablo

Reply to
palvarez

pablo,

I searched the site but couldn't find anywhere to download the specs. Do you have to join to get their open standard?

Here's the membership page where they talk about "free standards": ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Regular Membership ($2,500 per year) includes free product directory listings on VITA websites, free listings in VITA's Member News page, full participation in the VITA Standards Organization, free standards and discounts on the VMEbus Handbook, participation on VITA's marketing committee, discounts for VITA sponsored conferences, discounts on ads on VITA's website, and access to VITA's members only webpages.

Sponsor Membership ($25,000 per year) includes all the benefits of regular membership plus a seat on VITA's board of directors.

To join VITA, simply download the VITA Membership Application form and email or send it to VITA with your payment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If their free standard costs $2,500, I'll find another way to do the same thing.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett