Flux Remover (5252) precautions?

Dear All,

We use Flux Remover 5252 to clean our PCBAs after manual soldering.

As I am a new guy in this assembly process, I don't know whether there is any critical component sensitive to this solvent.

We have DSPIC, a few FETs, Voltage Regulator ICs and SMT passive components on the PCBA.

Any suggestion?

Regards

Reply to
Myauk

"Myauk"

** Email the makers for info that.

Their web site doe not say what the solvent consists of nor is there any MSDS on the site.

Very bad.

At a guess, it is basically IPA, which is pretty harmless to components.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This shows the contents:

The acetone could lunch some plastics and maybe film capacitors. The parts you mention, assuming surface-moung ceramic resistors and caps, should be OK.

It does look a little harsh for general-purpose electronics cleaning.

How do you apply it?

John

"John Larkin"

** How did you extract that pdf from Kester ??

Their MSDS search page says it does not exist.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Dear John,

Thanks for the info.

We soaked a piece cleaning cloth with the solvent and then cleaned the soldered joints.

Will there be any problem?

Should we use a better type of solvent?

Regards

Aung

Reply to
Myauk

I used that "google" thing.

John

In article , snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au says...>

Unless they drink too much.

Reply to
krw

Not if you are using a fume hood and proper gloves as personal protection. IPA (non drinkable clean alcohol) is a safer choice, but works slower.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

The main ingredient in 5252 is ipa, or its near cousin...

Pure ipa tends to leave white crud when used to remove flux, hence the additives.

John

I thought the white crud left behind was the "acid salts" from the flux and that the alcohol as a non-polar solvent dissolved the rosin but not the salts. I thought a polar solvent (like water) was needed to get rid of the salts - or is acetone or mentha-1,8-diene polar?

Reply to
K Ludger

any

nts.

Was there anything more wonderful than a freon tank? I long for the days of a freon tank. Most alternative just do a good job of spreading the flux out evenly over the board.

Reply to
bulegoge

I always liked TCE ;-)

...Jim Thompson

.

here

ere any

onents.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

That sh*t worked good too. A little bottle on your bench. Alcohol is so pathetic.

Reply to
bulegoge

quoted text -

My production line experience pre-dated the Freon edict.

...Jim Thompson

John

India Pale Ale tastes much better.

Reply to
krw

any

components.

quoted text -

That sounds strange, doesn't it?

Back in the days when Freon was declared good... now Freon is declared bad ;-)

...Jim Thompson

there

any

components.

quoted text -

DDT was once declared good too, before Africans were declared bad.

Reply to
krw
[snip]

Cheers John - lots of interesting info in that paper.

Reply to
K Ludger