filters

This cool.

Click "filter expert" then "dual supplies." Then click on a box on one of the surfaces.

I came up with a new-to-me filter architecture that *almost* works for me. It's a degenerated MFB lowpass, where the opamp itself replaces the usual opamp-r-c integrator.

This is freaky because it's weird to see a cap from an opamp inverting output to ground. But the opamp is acting like an integrator, not an opamp. Its input is *not* a summing point.

Unfortunately, this circuit has too few parts, so not enough degrees of freedom to give me the gain I need (gotta have -5) and a decent filter response: I seem to be stuck with a +14 dB peak. Cute, though.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Have you written the equation for the response ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

No. I'm stuck with the opamp, TCA0372, and prefer to keep the resistor values, so all that's left is the cap value, so Spicing it was simple. I was already inside simulating a variant on a MFB lowpass when this ocurred to me, so I just tried it. Rob and I had a little fun with it on the whiteboard, in a semi-quantitative way, enough to understand what's happening.

Adding one more resistor, across the cap, gives me another knob to turn, namely control of Q, which gets rid of my 14 dB bump. But then I'm only one part away from a full MFB, so it's not worth it.

For a couple more parts I can do a nice MFB filter that uses available resistor and capacitor packs. There are 24 of these filters in the board, so using packs matters.

Still, the opamp integration constant is only a factor of 2 over what the MFB integrator needs to be, so a FilterPro design that assumes an ideal opamp has to be tweaked. And I want to use available resistor and capacitor packs, more reason to fiddle and see what happens.

This is better to simulate than to do analytically because the final criteria - phase shift and gain in the signal bandwidth, DAC arifact rejection higher up, waveform cosmetics - aren't clearly defined. So we model some choices that use available parts, print graphs, scratch heads, pick one that looks like a pretty good compromise.

I've thought about the virtues and vices of writing equations to describe circuits. In one sense, solving equations is a mechanical process that can be done without actually *understanding* what's going on, just as Spice lets one futz with a model without actually feeling, actually understanding, the dynamics.

John

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bwahahahaha ha! You can always be counted on for a laugh. If you can't do it, it's "mechanical" :-)

As long as you are well away from the GBW axis crossing, the OpAmp can be considered to have a (differential) gain of...

GBW/s

But you'd have to know how to use Laplace (actually Heaviside) notation :-) ...Jim Thompson

Solving equations *is* mechanical, just like driving Spice. There's software, like the Wolfram stuff, now that will solve the equations for you. The point is, do you really understand what's going on, enough to design an efficient, reliable circuit. Analysis can only happen after you have something to analyze.

Of course. We all got that first year in college.

Have you ever used this filter form, where the open-loop opamp GBW replaced a conventional integrator in an MFB or state-variable filter?

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Particularly true of resonant circuits and feedback loops, at least when done the textbook way. Damping factor isn't the most useful parameter for a feedback loop, where we hope that Q

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not yet. A quick eyeball of the analysis would suggest difficulties choosing rational components... like R2 VERY small to get your gain of

  1. ...Jim Thompson

Then it's a new idea to you. Use it if you ever have a need, no charge.

A quick eyeball of the analysis would suggest difficulties

R2? In my lower circuit, with a few hundred pF for the cap, I get gain = -5 and about the same frequency shape, just scaled by the value of the cap, always with a 12 dB or so peak below the 3 dB point. To make this look Butterworth-y, it needs about 2K across the cap, with implications to offset and noise. At that point, it's just one part away from classic MFB.

I just thought it was weird enough to be interesting. In my current application, a classic 2nd order MFB is prudent. I will have to futz the integrator cap value down to make up for the fact that my opamp has fairly low GBW for this situation... FilterPro warns me to use about 10x the GBW that I have. That's a lot easier to simulate than doing analytically, especially since we're arbitrarily eyeballing several performance tradeoffs, like phase shift versus scope fuzzies versus standard valued R and C packs.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What is the GBW of the OpAmp you are using? With 220pF, and a 10MHz GBW I get 14dB gain in the flat region, but a 28dB peak at 375kHz. ...Jim Thompson

TCA0372, a dual 1 amp opamp with typ GBW of 1.4 MHz.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

n one

s for

es

rting

an

ees

ugh.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

tor

le.

it

ble

at

an

ch

ing

ou

an

?

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

ed text -

Gain peak at ~150kHz with Rf =3D 50k ohm and 200pF? (punching numbers...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's a dumb idea, you're going to end up with positive feedback real fast= . The prototype MFB introduces a zero with its feedback capacitor, your cir= cuit has nothing. Then the dominant second order pole occurs at CRf/GBWo, s= o I don't see where that's very useful anyway. And what's this nonsense abo= ut the inverting input not being a summing junction? Are you saying the cur= rents don't sum to zero there? The analysis is trivial if you realize that = the voltage on the summing juncuion is Vout/A where A is amplifier gain ( c= omplex or whatever).

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The prototype MFB introduces a zero with its feedback capacitor, your circuit has nothing.

The opamp has a capacitor inside. It's free.

that's very useful anyway. And what's this nonsense about the inverting input not being a summing junction? Are you saying the currents don't sum to zero there? The analysis is trivial if you realize that the voltage on the summing juncuion is Vout/A where A is amplifier gain ( complex or whatever).

I'm just replacing the integrator stage in the MFB with an opamp running open-loop, which is also an integrator. Whether it's dumb or not depends on whether it will work in a given situation.

--

John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The prototype MFB introduces a zero with its feedback capacitor, your circuit has nothing.

that's very useful anyway. And what's this nonsense about the inverting input not being a summing junction? Are you saying the currents don't sum to zero there? The analysis is trivial if you realize that the voltage on the summing juncuion is Vout/A where A is amplifier gain ( complex or whatever).

Whether it's dumb or not, see...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Larkin's Filter - Larkin_Filter.pdf Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 14:46:34 -0700 Message-ID:

10K/50K/1.4MHz GBW/Various Capacitors ...Jim Thompson

The prototype MFB introduces a zero with its feedback capacitor, your circuit has nothing.

that's very useful anyway. And what's this nonsense about the inverting input not being a summing junction? Are you saying the currents don't sum to zero there? The analysis is trivial if you realize that the voltage on the summing juncuion is Vout/A where A is amplifier gain ( complex or whatever).

And the calculations...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Re: Larkin's Filter - Larkin_Filter.pdf - Filter_Calculation.pdf Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:05:30 -0700 Message-ID: ...Jim Thompson

Don't suppose an X5R or Z5U, if not Z5V, would be lossy enough to help?

Would do wonders for distortion ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.