FET driver not working..why?

What i want is the FET to completely turn on and off - thereby giving the load a HV pulse.

Reply to
Robert Baer

AFAIK not stated in the data sheet. Excellent point..thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

bootstrap capacitor between VB and VS, on the order of 10x Cin, and as mentioned use fast recovery diode between the VB-VCC. Thanks. That connection was drawn wrong.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:48:06 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

But in our circuit the fet can ever get higher than 12V. Normally these cicuits work by charging a capacitor via a diode (bootstrap), and for that to happen you both need a hard pulldown PLUS a hard pull up. (totempole, or at east some load to charge / discharge that cap. And that voltage needs to be seen by the driver chip, you connected it wong as others pointed out.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Try this. LTSpice format. Your drawing looks good , so you've obviously corrected it in the mean time. Never tried this with dropbox before , so hope it works.

Cheers Ned

Reply to
robindavis001

It's not. You grounded the low end of the bootstrap cap, and connected

+12 in the wrong place. Well, you did before you changed it.

Does it work now?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Unlike you, I have never shaved my own foot in my month.

English must be your third language.

Reply to
John S

His 'Jibberish to English' converter is defective.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, he probably "designed" it. What would you expect from a pig (ham) who runs to the ARRL and claims "Daddy! Daddy! .. he picked on me"

Reply to
John S

The ARRL is probably the bunch who told him that an 'Electret' was a crystal microphone.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Had a more serious problem that totally explained the why: the FET drain was open(!). Schematic has been updated and corrected. Works nice into a 100 ohm resistor as load. Next will be the acid test.. The load will be the B+ (bottom) end of the flyback transformer in the TV set; a 33uF filter cap will be across that load for a closer-to-DC (adjustable) drive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Only the cap was wrong..

Reply to
Robert Baer

corrected it in the mean time. Never tried this with dropbox before , so hope it works.

"Time step too small; time = 6.47366e-06, timestep = 1.25e-19; trouble with u2:diode25-instance d:u2:_md4_d3 OK"

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, but only because i connected the FET drain to the supply..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Go to control panel and set spice engine from normal to alternate.

Reply to
robindavis001