"Fat Meter" Physics?

I stepped into a pharmacy in a supermarket, and they had a machine where you hold two handles and get a reading of your fat content.

I note their is a Wikipedia entry for "Dielectric Spectroscopy."

Anyone have any insight into the operation of this? I imagine the permittivity of fat different from water.

I wonder how selective this spectroscopy is...

(no jokes by the usual hyenas about others bring full of crap :)

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

Probably not relevant. This seems closer to the mark, but it falls a fair way short of informative.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
Bill Sloman

Thanks for BIA link. I would think frequency spectroscopy would help, tho.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Yep, that's it. Most are simply galvanic skin resistance, and pretty much a complete crock.

The giveaway is the first step is entering your height, weight, sex, age, and generally enough information for them to guess your body fat without the measurement.

I did all of that on a few at a time when I knew my actual body fat quite accurately from orthodox measurements, and none of the fakirs' gadgets came close.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I dunno. I'm wondering if maybe this is more on target:

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to