faster-than-light.us

Did they ever find any neurons between your ears?

I mean, I know that things that have no activity are hard to detect...

Reply to
The Great Attractor

On a sunny day (Sun, 23 Oct 2011 16:12:02 +0200) it happened "admformeto" wrote in :

Not exactly: From

The neutrino has half-integer spin (??) and is therefore a fermion. Neutrinos interact primarily through the weak force. The discovery of neutrino flavor oscillations implies that neutrinos have mass. The existence of a neutrino mass strongly suggests the existence of a tiny neutrino magnetic moment[12] of the order of 10?19 ?B, allowing the possibility that neutrinos may interact electromagnetically as well

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 23 Oct 2011 08:24:35 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

OK this afternoon I was watching the garden, and I did see, with the sun (still shining) at some angle, clouds of mosquitos, just hovering, changing form, sometimes high, then low, some leaving that cloud, only to enter it again. The birds must have a feast, they are all big and fat now, all they have to do is fly through it with beaks wide open. But, I have read that mosquitos have a very short life, maybe days, dunno. So many will enter your heaven, and I doubt that only one bug-zapper will be enough. So maybe you should stock up on some more, as these are coming...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 23 Oct 2011 07:32:39 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

You have to do better than that Billy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It may be possible, but nobody has measured anything yet, so - as far as we know - the neutrino has no electrical charge and no electrical structure.

"Possibilities" don't constitute evidence.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

On a sunny day (Sun, 23 Oct 2011 10:41:44 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Bill Sloman wrote in :

Read again: 'strongly suggests' Dr Watson

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Which makes your factual-sounding statement that: "The neutrino has no
electrical charge, nor any electrical structure." rather less solid

meto"

om...

te:

cal

n.

y of

tiny

he

ll

"Evidentally"? Interesting neogolism. Since there evidence supporting this point of view is inconclusive - to put it mildly - one obviously couldn't say "evidently".

Reply to
Bill Sloman

to"

:

of

iny

It's got no electrical charge, and no known electrical structure. That's factual.

The proposition that neutrino's - tiny - mass may imply a tiny magnetic moment is pure speculation.If you want to use this particular speculation as evidence that the neutrino might have an - as yet unmeasured - magnetic moment, feel free to exercise your imagination.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
And, quite different from your original: "The neutrino has no
electrical charge, nor any electrical structure."
Reply to
John Fields

:

rmeto"

com...

ote:

ical

on.

ry of

he

a tiny

the

ell

"Erroneous"? My statement didn't disagree with any known fact. It might be wrong, but the chance is of the same nature as the chance that your claim that it is "erroneous" is wrong.

Your original errroneous claim - "All they'll show is that particles which travel faster in a medium than light can will emit Cerenkov radiation" - obviously doesn't apply to neutrinos, otherwise our oceans would glow like fury.

The evidence that that was wrong was widely available long before you embarassed yourself by by issuing an erroneous "factual" declaration.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

"admformeto"

--
Yes.
Reply to

te:

ote:

mformeto"

ps.com...

ctrical

rmion.

overy of

. The

of a tiny

ng the

s well

far

al

no

You need to learn a little more phyisics.

Precisely as fatuous as your

"Not being preeminent in the field, I prefer to wait until the evidence comes in before embarrassing myself by issuing erroneous "factual" declarations."

This gets the proposition backwards.Cerenkov radiation is produced by the superluminal translation of a charged particle through a medium with a higher refractice index (=3D lower light speed) than free space, and since neutrino's aren't charged this particular interaction isn't just rare, but actually totally non-existent.

So what? The interactions weren't electromagnetic, but involved the weak nuclear force. Neutrinos don't do electromagnetic interactions. If they had a magnetic moment, as has been speculated, one can imagine situations where they might, but none has been demonstrated yet.

You do seem intent on digging yourself a deeper hole. Cerenkov radiation is produced by charged particles, and only by charged particles. Neutrons are claimed to generated an acoustic equivalent of Cerenkov radiation, but the phonons that are presumably being generated aren't actually detectable.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Anyone wanna bet?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I believe that this guy is none other than Mathew Orman, who was paperhanging this newsgroup with his claims, around 2003. I think you were around at the time.

He promised Win Hill a sample of his "FTL cable" for independent testing. I'm sure we would have heard if Win had actually received it.

As I recall, he based his claims on an LTSpice simulation. I'm sure I could fake results that way, I bet you could, too.

As to whether he's a kook, or a charlatan, I offer no opinion.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

..

No way. The odds are in too much in favour of the cartoon character getting his $200 to make it a rational wager.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I believe that this guy is none other than Mathew Orman, who was paperhanging this newsgroup with his claims, around 2003. I think you were around at the time.

He promised Win Hill a sample of his "FTL cable" for independent testing. I'm sure we would have heard if Win had actually received it.

As I recall, he based his claims on an LTSpice simulation. I'm sure I could fake results that way, I bet you could, too.

As to whether he's a kook, or a charlatan, I offer no opinion.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
admformeto

So stop feeding the troll. You're cluttering up the newsgroup. ...Jim Thompson

e:

te:

dmformeto"

ups.com...

ectrical

ermion.

covery of

s. The

of a tiny

ing the

as well

far

cal

s no

.

Of course my knowledge of general relativity is extremely primitive. I've never studied it formally. On the other hand, general relativity doesn't have a lot to say about Cerenkov radiation.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I am shocked!

But you never studied it so how do you know?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie