Exploding CDs

They simply explode for no reason apparently. Of course there is a reason b ut what is it ?

I am thinking about polymers outgassing inside corroding the aluminum and m aking it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to g o somewhere.

From what I hear it is when they are handled, but not abused. They have not been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile forum and they don't abuse them.

I think I will go back and ask what is the AGE of theses CDs.

Thing is, somewhere around here we probably have someone who knows about po lymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

I think it is a hell of a curiosity.

I wonder if it can happen to the holographic disks. Imagine having all your movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe t hey use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, no t like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can't be using aluminum as the reflective substance.

Reply to
Jeff Urban

but what is it ?

making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

ot been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile foru m and they don't abuse them.

polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

ur movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe they use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, not like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can't be using aluminum as t he reflective substance.

I don't know, but I do know the PC they're made from objects strongly to he at & any moisture together.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Am 24.09.20 um 00:36 schrieb Jeff Urban:

CDs also?

Last thing I heard was that trees explode. Nice trees, strong trees, beautiful trees.

But they explode.

Makes me avoid Austria.

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Ummmm.... perhaps very high RPM's?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Is this an urban myth ?

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

and making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

Really? Corrosion is usually the addition of another element to the metal, which will make it heavier. Of course volume may increase even more, so the result is less dense, as in rust.

Reply to
Mike Coon

I recall way back as CD drives got faster and faster that they stopped at 52x because there was a risk to structural integrity of the disk.

I have a fair number of CD's and none of them have ever gone pop. My audiophile brother-in-law has thousands and he hasn't either.

I think as stated above it is an urban legend.

The ways they can fail are pretty much brittle fracture or stress corrosion cracking. Cleaning might cause this so audiophools using solvents on their CDs might be inadvertently shortening their lifetime.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I think you have to keep the spin speed below 30000 rpm

Reply to
Andy Bennet

For trees exploding, the rule is to keep the ambient temperature below 300C. After Mt. St. Helens exploded, I examined tree remains (with a shovel...), and they're best described as toothpicks.

Reply to
whit3rd

The other thing that makes trees explode is being struck by lightning.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

but what is it ?

making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

ot been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile foru m and they don't abuse them.

polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

ur movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe they use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, not like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can't be using aluminum as t he reflective substance.

Sounds like an "Urban Myth"

Reply to
Flyguy

but what is it ?

making it corrode. That for most metals makes them lose mass, which has to go somewhere.

ot been sitting out in the sun for days. This comes from an audiophile foru m and they don't abuse them.

polymers and all that. Maybe they want to chime in.

ur movies and music on one disk and it goes poof. Thing is I do not believe they use aluminum. They are depth multiplexed and like wherever thy want, not like a dual layer DVD. so they pretty much can't be using aluminum as t he reflective substance.

See (for example):

Audio CDs vary their RPM to to get a constant-rate data stream (CLV). The l imits are very mild numbers.

--
Cheers,
Chris.