Explain this paradox to me plz

How come DVD players boast of 10 bit resolution per channel, presumably lots of engineering effort went into achieving this?

People pay a premium for this and ask for it. Video cards for PCs output 8 bits per channel.

Then they connect it to a LCD panel where you need insider information just to find out that it's a 6 bit per channel display. Which most are.

So why are companies on one side lying and hiding information about the true performance of their LCD products, but other companies produce specs and hardware that can never ever be used fully?

And what the hell is the deal with "HD" panels with oddball resolutions like 1366x768 or 1440x900? Is there like a backlog of 12 trillion gate drivers that can only handle 1366x3 pixels that people want to use up?

Whhyyyyyyyyyyyy????

It's like if CD players only played back 12 bits per channel at 22KHz sample rate, but all the studios released 24 bit/96KHz SACDs, and everyone claims they can tell the difference.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Same reason hotdogs come in packs of ten, but hotdog buns come in packs of eight.

Square bread, round bologna.

It isn't _supposed_ to make sense!

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Er... what is it exactly that you can't see with your "1366x3" pixels? Fleas on the dog? Everything that the director meant for you to see you can see.

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

The pixels I paid for on HD DVD or Bluray or whatever?

So, I take it you'll want to buy a few of my 12 bit, 22KHz CD players then? What is it you can't hear with 12 bits 22KHz? The fleas farting on the dog? And why did you put 1366x3 in quotes? Do you not see that something has to drive 1366 red cells, 1366 green cells and 1366 blue cells for a total of 1366x3?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

AFAIK studies have shown that the ears have capability to resolve phase differences to 100KHz, and the headbones do vibrate well above 20KHz.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*=> $$$
Reply to