Equalizing the pressure in a sealed box

I think all hard drives still have it covering their main gas I/O vent.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

IP67

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Thanks, those would be too big for us though. But it looks like there are smaller versions, as well as the "gore-tex" based solutions. The membrane under the lid idea in fact looks do-able too, and could also keep out water vapour.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Place the internal assembly in a clear ESD bag and remove practically all the air from it, then there will not be much 'air' to regulate, and the bezel/touchpad should remain as intentionally fixtured.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you mean here.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

He has been dead a lot more than 17 years so his patents have probably run out!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Install a schraeder valve and fill with nitrogen!

Steve

Reply to
Stephen D. Barnes

Care to "expand" on this?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The aircraft industry uses nitrogen in the tires of planes because of its extremely low expansion in tires at altitude. The auto industry is using it in land vehicle tires now as well because of its low expansion rate due to heat. A schraeder valve is the type use in valve stems on tires and can be purchased in many different mounting styles for uses other than tires. This may be an option.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen D. Barnes

OK, I understand now - thanks for the clarification.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Nitrogen is used to prevent the tires from exploding if they overheat, it's true. However, this isn't because it's some magic gas whose P vs V curve is different from every other near-ideal gas, but rather because rubber doesn't burn in a nitrogen atmosphere. High partial pressures of oxygen make things burn *fast*--see the Apollo 1 fire for an appalling example.

Nitrogen won't help the OP's problem at all--it obeys PV=nRT just like every other nearly-ideal gas.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thread a nipple through the hole, the same size as a toggle switch barrel. (I think it's something like 1/2-32 or so.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise