Speaker in a sealed unit

I'm working on a project that features a water-tight enclosure. It's not hermetically sealed -- there's a pressure relief valve -- but the customer wants it to work while waterproof.

Any suggestions for getting sound out? I was thinking of cutting the backing away from part of the front panel and sticking a piezo speaker to the back side; essentially using the front panel plastic as the surface that couples the sound to the outside air.

The more I write, the more it sounds completely batty. Observations and suggestions are appreciated.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Aren't there underwater speakers for swimming pools? How do they do it? ...Jim Thompson

Den onsdag den 26. marts 2014 00.33.44 UTC+1 skrev Tim Wescott:

using a surface as a speaker isn't new, been used for shop windows and you can get numerous "stick on something" speakers for your MP3 player

If it'll work with a piezo I don't know, you'll probably need some weight on the back of it

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You'll probably destroy the piezo with the required force needed in water.

How about attaching some neo magnets on the inside wall and then place a coil close to them that is mounted firmly and drive that ?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Yeah, they are 'bolt on' transducers.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

It doesn't have to be under water -- it's just going to get splashed with salt water a lot.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Size ? I know parts express sells a larger device. My tablets still have a lot of sound through the Case.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There are speakers made for boats.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Maybe

Belleman

--
Sounds OK to me, but I'd use a loudspeaker with a voice coil and
stick the rear of the speaker to the front panel in order to let the

Just a sound?

Stretch a steel string between the centre of the front and rear panels and pluck.

Or use a backwards facing speaker mounted on one panel, much as John Fields suggested, but with the cone physically connected to the opposite panel. You're not really using the cone of course, just the voicecoil actuator. Assembly problems? Magnets to hold the connecting rod.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Sounds fine to me too... as long as it's doesn't need hi-fidelity. I'm reminded of little wind-up music boxes that sound so much louder when they are attached to a bigger object.. (table top or whatever.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

uh, 6 mil plastic sheet over standard speaker?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Think about a device on a bench in a noisy workshop. That size (and required volume).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I just needs to make beeps at a couple of different pitches.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

??

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

So, bolt onto the sealed enclosure a downward=facing speaker, with two or three spaced layers of grille cloth. Use non-wicking materials for the cloth, of course.

Reply to
whit3rd

WHy didn't you say so...

You can get Marine speakers! They are plastic and sealed...

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

This one might be better, it's much smaller..

Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.