EMI leaking down shaft of rotary switch

This would be easier, and is what I thought you meant a little earlier, upthread:

====== Fig. 3 CROSS SECTION (view in Courier font) ======

//---------------------------. .----. |

Reply to
James Arthur

Grrr. Rev 2. Corrects brass bushing reference designator.(above)

James

Reply to
James Arthur

.

ap

ng

I've got it now. It=92s funny my brain starts down one path to a solution and tends to get stuck there.

I don't know how James makes the beautiful ASCII art, I haven=92t the patience nor the skill. Nothing beats a white board for getting ideas across.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

cheap:

You could try a short length of straight wire spring under a local screw head bearing against the shaft.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Also check out Smalley wave springs.

John

=3Dget...

Thanks again for all the ideas. If Grayill doesn't come through I think I like the ideas that have a bit of side-loading on the shaft. I get ground contact in two places. On one side where the spring doing the pushing and on the other where the shaft is pushed into the inner side of the hole. Between the two the shaft should be grounded.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

George,

I thought this was one of your side projects for students. I'd certainly go with one of the other suggestions in real life!

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

--
I\'d try a tiny amount of a silver-loaded lubricant applied at the
shaft-bushing interface.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Just a goofy idea, but can you find a way to insert a whole lot of graphite into the shaft bearing? Or maybe massively silver loaded lithium grease?

Reply to
JosephKK

hat

I=92ve

lurb

.

st

is

eas,

ext -

t -

Phil, My side projects are things like keeping my Ferguson TO-20 Tractor running. I build apparatus for students as a living.

Maybe You'll like this one,

or this,
Most of this is perhaps rather pedestrian when compared to what you=92re doing, but you may like the quadrature interferometery in the last link.

I enjoy it though and that=92s all that really counts.

George Herold

Reply to
George Herold

=92ve

,

Yeah I thought about that, the bushing sits right in top of the shaft hole.... it's hard to see how I could inject anyting in there. And this knob is going to get a lot of action. I'd be afraid that after

1k turns or so the lubricant would be gone.

But thanks,

George

Reply to
George Herold

Very pretty! I think that two photon Doppler-free spectroscopy is one of the most beautiful measurement ideas ever.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thats about right, the anchor points in the Motorola design was the slot in the chassis the shaft of the PC board mounted pot went through. It was slotted because the chassis was soldered on after the parts were waved on. The slot was a convenient place the spring could grip, the ends of the spring were bent back to grip the wall of the chassis slot. Hard to describe but suffice to say, spring tension and the shaft held the part in place.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Brilliant idea! Still it would be good to see Grayhill stand by their specs!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

s.

lds

that

So I=92ve

der

blurb

/2

he

ar..

best

as

this

ideas,

und

of

text -

er

ext -

Yeah, Do you have any idea if whoever first figured this out found it by accident or on purpose. I've noticed that you can sometimes see a bit of Doppler-free absorption with a single laser beam and a bit of relection off the back side of the gas cell.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The reference I have for it is

L. S. Vasilenko, V. P. Chebotaev, and A. V. Shishaev, JETP Lett. 3 (English translation) p.161 (1970)

Russian papers in the Soviet era never admitted discovering anything by accident, so I don't suppose we're likely to find out. Of course the Lamb dip can show up the same way, and that was discovered by accident IIRC.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As a beyond-cutoff waveguide, maybe a disk attached to the shaft that is positioned close to the panel? Size of disk to be as large as practical; maybe a large one on the inside and a small one (size of knob so as to not show?) on the outside?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I *still* do not understand how signals get thru; the frequency must be quite high and thus easy to filter at inputs..

Reply to
Robert Baer

hat

I=92ve

lurb

.

st

is

eas,

st

Robert, The switch is connected to the resistor I'm looking at. If the shaft loses contact with ground it becomes an antenna. It 'transfers' the electric fields outside the box to the inside, where they capacitivily couple to the resistor. Perhaps you=92re confused because everyone knows you shouldn=92t =91hot=92 switch signals as I=92ve done. But it=92s just easy and it works=85. Most of the time.

George Herold

Reply to
George Herold

als.

ields

it that

ith

=A0So I=92ve

h a

order

a blurb

g,

1/2

the

wear..

=91best

has

b.

d this

, ideas,

round

rt of

dtext -

be

user

text -

ne

RC.

t -

Hmm too bad, maybe the story will come out later. I love stories of accidental discoveries. It gives us average chums (by =91us=92 I=92m only referring to myself and not you) hope that if we keep our eye balls peeled we might see something.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold