EMI-ESD shielding enclosures

Good idea.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have a bunch these cans, as well as the larger version.

I also have a bunch of rectangular christmas tins from Dollar Tree. Round containers waste too much space, but do they have their uses for things like old DDR RAM, and spare LCD displays. The lids are a tight fit on the cans, and I keep projects or collections in separate boxes. For non critical items, I use Whitman's Sugar Free Sampler boxes. They aren't steel, but they are foil covered, and they are a pleasure to empty. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Considering the size reduction possible with current integration and SMD, you'd be better off investing in Altoids tins.

RL

Reply to
legg

I'm not! I tossed about 50 of them to save space. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Those big tins let you put in a bunch of feedthrough caps and SMA connectors so you can actually get test signals out. Round is better than square, because you get a decent ground connection all the way round the lid, rather than just near the corners.

The 70-mm ones are okay for boards up to about 3x3 inches, if you put them in slightly diagonally.

I usually just hang them from short RG-402 cables running to bulkhead-mount SMA F-F barrel connectors. I bought a couple of thousand Russian 33-nf feedthrough caps, which solve the RF pickup problem nicely.

I have one film can that I doctored up to let me do photodiode C-V measurements on a Boonton 72BD. Nice and dark, good shielding, easy connection.

Some folks use clean paint cans, but they're harder to get apart without danger of breaking something. (Fat fingers are one of the main hazards of prototyping.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

UGH! Exactly the problem. But, it turns out the tins with some dessicant is still not quite good enough.

So, if I have boards that have sat around for a while, I put a whole stack of them in the reflow oven and set it for 50 C, wait a half hour, then set it for 70 C and let them sit for about 2 hours. No more bubbles!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I used to build electronic things in wooden cigar boxes. Tubes aren't very ESD sensitive.

lunatic fringe electronics

I did some resistor testing in a danish cookie tin, to see if high-value cermet resistors have shot noise or something equivalent. They do. Had to special-order high-value metal films, which we could only find in axials.

Damn, had to force down another load of cookies.

lunatic fringe electronics

Cookies?

lunatic fringe electronics

nd

ly.

ut

you can put what ever cookies you like in them before you use them :P

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We suspect that board was born with some water trapped inside. It's only happened once.

We keep loaded p+p carousels in a big dry box. And we dry big BGAs, which are really PC boards, for a couple days before we use them.

lunatic fringe electronics

I didn't know anyone who smoked cigars, so I used scrap lumber to make boxes. A produce dealer lived down the block, and the old grape ot tomato crates were made from nice lumber in the '60s. :)

Then I was able to use my school's metal shop when I turned 12 so I made cases and chassis out of sheet aluminum.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Lol. Do you have any idea how stupid these types of comments make you look?

--

Rick
Reply to

There is this just in from the BBC,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 07:11:56 -0700 (PDT), George Herold Gave us:

The real question is how you came across it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I was do a morning (s)troll of the BBC and stepped in it. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The real mystery is why some of the Danish Butter Cookies contain coconut. Coconuts don't grow in Denmark.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?

Guard: Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Den tirsdag den 5. april 2016 kl. 00.01.28 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

and

er

ut

usand

icely.

thout

ards

We have a long tradition of sailing around the world, not always invited ;) The virgin islands were a Danish colony until we sold it to the US for $25M in 1916, I think they have coconuts

most Danish cookies are vanilla, I have no idea where the coconuts come fro m

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen