Elektron drive ?

Why is there no elektron drive ?

There is the following however:

  1. Party Balloons that stick to the ceiling. This could indicate that electrons are bumping against the plastic keep it up. Thus electrons are capable of providing some form of thrust.

  1. CRT televisions, shooting electrons, electron guns.

So here is a question/experiment:

  1. Build the lightest CRT/TV/Electron gun possible, put it in space, see what happens... will it thrust itself forward ? ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

And no the party balloons are not filled with helium, just air... statically charged to keep them sticking to the ceiling ! ;)

Reply to
skybuck2000

Jasen Betts

Because there are no elektrons.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

Electrons have very little mass.. not much momentum. We have ion drives.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Are there any news about other nonfunctioning "drives" which have been in the headlines lately.

Reply to
LM

Because it would very quickly run out of electrons.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

There are several. There's one in Louisville, Kentucky, and one in Anchorage, Alaska to mention but two.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Hey, if you accelerate electrons close to c, they become very heavy, as big a mass/charge ratio as you want.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Right, at the FEL we used two SLAC sections to get e's to ~10 MeV (I think, don't quote me on that number.. it's been a while.) Hey, I was wondering how they do charge conservation for ion drives. They inject electrons back into the beam.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's pretty hard to continuously eject either positive or negative particles without recovering the ejected charge somehow. I expect they actually eject both the positive particles *and* the electrons.

--

Rick C
Reply to

An ion drive does not seem to be the same as an elektron drive.

Ion drives expel/eject charged atoms also known as ions.

An elektron drive would only expel/eject electrons.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Seems easy enough to replenish it... simply collect electrons from sun particles/photons/perhaps even electrons ? The photons themselfes can help with propelling the spacecraft...

Perhaps there are other sources in space which can provide electrons.

Perhaps rings around planets, nebulas, comets, asteroids, electro magnetic fields, outerspace plasma, solar winds, etc.

Reply to
skybuck2000

If electrons are strong enough to stick a partyballoon to the ceiling than they most be strong enough to propel a spacecraft ! :)

Reply to
skybuck2000

Perhaps a nuclear reactor which can provides enough particles.

Perhaps instead of elektrons even smaller particles or other kind of particles could be used, quarks, fermions, whatever, but for now let's first focus on elektrons lol... or whatever it is that is holding up that party balloon :)

Reply to
skybuck2000

What would you do with all the ions that have had electrons removed from them?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Ok, so how do you deal with the charge issue? Conservation of charge is a fundamental property of the universe.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Skybuck, has a few small holes in his "physics" understanding of the world. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

They have an opposite charge, so beam them out the front to go even faster!

Reply to
krw

sure pick any beta emitter and shield one side. 25% efficient.

there's nothing smaller (except possibly photons)

Jasen Betts