Electronic Workbench Update

A virtualized application such as LTSPICE running from a USB drive might do the trick. I've seen them, but have not attempted to virtualize a new app.

This is one path:**

Would the school spring for a $5 flash drive per student? I imagine you could get at least 4G at that price point.

You could set up examples etc. that would be available. AFAIUI, you take a (preferably virgin) PC and install the app, and capture a snapshot of everthing including registry etc. that is

** ouch- looks like they want $5K + for this! Maybe the 60 day demo would work?

Of course this is the age of the cloud..

MIT worked up a kind of online SPICE that works fairly well despite the limitations of an unnecessarily ugly GUI.

Hey, what about something like this if it would suit your needs:

Pretty slick! eg

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

there

Win7

Reply to
josephkk

there

Win7

Two things:

  1. LTSpice in known to work perfectly well in wine, let alone a VM running XP
  2. I specified student provided flash media.
Reply to
josephkk

I have EWB 5.12 running on Win7 (x64)

The way to go:

- install EWB 5.12 on a Win98-system

- get it registered with your registration-details (name + sn)

- copy the complete program-directory including sub-directories from the Win98-machine into "C:\Program Files (x86)" of your Win7-machine.

- create a shortcut to your newly created "WEWB32.EXE" on your desktop

- configure this shortcut to run im compatibility mode with win98

- the first time you start EWB it requires the original installation-CD in your CD-drive.

I've tried a little circuit, ran it with function-generator and oscilloscope, and it looks like everything works just fine.

To use the help-function you may need to download the legacy windows-help wich is available from MS for download for activated Win7-installations.

OS-cruncher

Nice post, dude. A rare thing in Usenet these days.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why bother? LTspice is free, and is the 'lingua franca' on SED. A simple way to share circuit ideas. (I used EWB many years ago.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

EWB used to have another name, and was sold with perpetual free upgrades. They changed the name to cut off the upgrades. I bought one subsequent upgrade but it was buggy and support was bad, so I got my money back.

LT Spice is much better.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Old thread I know, but just in case anyone else runs into this, I've gotten Electronic Workbench (5.1) working natively under Windows 7 64-bit. The pr ogram itself is 32-bit, but the installer is 16-bit, hence you can't instal l it in 64-bit Windows.

The trick was to first install it under Windows XP mode, on the virtual C d rive in the same directory you want to put it on the real C drive. Once it' s installed, copy the contents of that directory to the corresponding locat ion on the real drive. Finally, open the registry editor in XP mode, export the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\InteractiveImageTechnologiesLtd.\El ectronicsWorkbench\EEW01\installation, and then import that into the regist ry in Windows 7.

In hindsight, before doing the registry hack, EWB popped up a dialog box th at the EWB CD had to be in the drive. Perhaps if I'd put it in the drive, i t would have registered itself?

Reply to
svorkoetter

Another one dreging up old threads.

But really, you know what the solution really is ? Keep your old hardware a nd old software until the smoke comes out. I still got XP on one PC and it runs great. And even then I instyalled old programs on it, like Offfice 97 Pro, that runs like lightning on it. All the software does.

Only thing you need is AV software and to be careful. Use it fro what you n eed it for. buy newer PCs for the junk they got now, almost none of which I use.

now they are bitching about Tektronix scopes that run XP. First of all, the re should not be an OS on a scope, and second of all, so it runs XP. Keep i t offline and nobody will know except you. Perhaps the bean counteers who, in corporatre America will insist all this stuff go in to the trash for tax purposes (which means it cannot be sold it must be destroyed because of US tax code), but in most cases, just run it until it drops dead.

That reinds me to put my main backup on one of the SATA drives in me server for when it drops dead. Its EOL was in 200_, ummm, whatever.

Don't let them pull you along with a nose ring to get every update. you wou ldn't believe how old some of my software is and it serves me well. And I h ave to learn enough new shit just to fix the junk that I really have no tim e nor inclination to learn new software.

Sorry Bill Gates.

And Windows 10 is free ? I'll pass. I own't even take if you pay me enougy money to buy the best hardware in the world to run it, know why ? Because I know what I got and it works.

Reply to
jurb6006

You won't be doing any of those freshmen any favors by introducing them to any other simulator besides LTSpice. If they can't grok the basics in 60 minutes they are in the wrong classroom.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX