electronic switch

Hello to everybody. I intend to use photovoltaic cells without battery. I will heat water when not using other appliances. So I need a circuit that will automatically switch the power either to water heater or to other appliances when switched "ON" Is that possible? Thank you for your valuable advices. Best regards. Rudy.

Reply to
ARNOLD_RUD

Start off by telling us what voltage you applicances run on, presumably they are AC?

An extimate of the typical output voltage of the photovoltaic array would be usfull. Do you have a paticular type of solar panel in mind and how many?

Personally I'd look at using a shunt regulator which dumps current into suitable heating elements to hold the voltage from the photovoltaic array down to a set level. If other things draw current the shunt regulator will draw less.

Looking at the big picture, can your applicances cope with a widely fluctuating voltage when clouds pass in front of the sun? The amount of power per square meter from solar panels is low. Unless you have a very big roof and spend a lot of money it is not going to power a hairdryer.

Are you aware that the cost of purchasing and installing solar panels will be much higher than the value of the electricity they will produce during their usfull life?

Bob

Reply to
Bob