Electromagnetic Motor

Many many years ago in a Boys Own Annual 19xx vintage there was info on Building a Electromagnetic motor, the Motor ran on just a Antenna..

Use a large 1 meter mica disk from memory as the rotor, but why I think its a meter I just don't know as meters was not used in those days, unless the article came from the EU..

Any one have a clue..?

Reply to
William Brown

Electrostatic maybe? Try googling electrostatic motor

John

From memory it had Brushes, Plus a electrostatic motor would need a lot of votage to get it to run..

Reply to
William Brown

On a sunny day (Tue, 17 Aug 2010 17:17:51 +1200) it happened William Brown wrote in :

Intersting, a quick google for motor mica disk finds many many links, this one for a start:

Jan Panteltje

What you can get from an antenna is lots of DC voltage. What you can't get is enough current to run a conventional motor.

Hey, look at the pic on page 1:

He has *two* Keithley electrometers. They look like mine...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Keithley_1gig.JPG

John

a..

Fun, I've wanted to build an electric field mill to measure the Earth's E- field.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

One of the links at the top is: Amazing Motor That Draws Power From The Air Popular Science Magazine, April 1971 (PDF file) (it didn't want to load in to my old version of adobe reader)

Reply to
bud--

Try the foxit reader(free), no problem and about 5 times faster.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Follow a few links and one reads: " Stage Power Gain Power Output

1 1.75 175watts 2 3.06 306watts 3 5.36 536watts 4 9.38 938watts 5 16.41 1,641watts 6 28.72 2,872watts 7 50.27 5,027watts 8 87.96 8,796watts 9 153.94 15,934watts

What this means is you could create a power system to provide all your household power needs with only 100 watts drawn from the power grid. The only real reason to use the power grid is for the right frequency for all your present appliances. Done with an oscillator you could use a battery or hand crank generator to start it up and then run off a capacitor bank for the first stage. If the magnetic transistor idea proves out then one stage or two stages might be sufficient. " --

Wow! World's energy crisis is imaginary, we can make electric cars that run themselves! Just hand crank to start, the run off a cpacitor bank -- why use a battery at all? Must be big oil or the Govt stopping this 'technology' being made available to all?

;^)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Electrostatic motors can be powered by wind friction charges. Some old diagrams show power coming from an antenna symbol but the only photo I could find shows a ballon generating the power.

Kevin McMurtrie

on

na..

Lotsa wacko's getting energy from magnets. What ever became of the English bloke that made a splash in the news a year or two ago?

I suspect that a lot of the magnet 'energy' is do to temperature differences... as we know magnets have a wicked temp-co.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Years ago I built this pop bottle electrostatic motor,

I ran it from a 10,000 volt power supply, it worked good. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

..

om/emotor/emotor.html

Say Mike are you an EE or a Physicist? (It OK to be a bit of both.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Say Mike are you an EE or a Physicist? (It OK to be a bit of both.)

I'm a fish monger, well really a shrimp monger. hmm... can a shrimp seller be a monger? My wife and I run a small retail shrimp store on a marina. Been doing electronic tech type work most of my life, but now it is a hobby. Science was always high on my interest list, my last job was working for a physicist, we had a lot of fun on worthless projects, but I did learn a lot! Any reason you ask? MikeK

George H.

Reply to
amdx

Doesn't that cause global warming? SCNR :-)

But you probably don't have the salt-and-pepper sports jacket with

1960's style tie.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Dunno, I tend not to follow these. I noticed people putting coils on powerful magnets and then doing crest-factor measurement errors to 'explain' their power gain.

Only tempco I can think of is the curie point where magnetics stop working? Useful for say Weller irons way back, as a control function, can't see it being a way to generate power though.

If it were easy or true, everyone would have one. Must be them evil power companies stop these so they can charge for wiggling electrons about, like AC power has zero energy 'cos it takes back what it gives?

Mad thinking, except some take it all too seriously.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Dangerous for attracting lightning though, electrostatic antenna seems so attractive until one contemplates catering for the 'fault' currents during storms.

Grant

Ick. Adware. I was begrudgingly using it until recently, but someone suggested PDF-XCHange. I like it a *lot* better.

Reply to
krw

on

nna..

r.

GOOGLE BLOCKED ? ARE YOU BRAIN DEAD !

OPEN THO$E FLOODGATES .....

DON'T MISS OUT CAUSE OF NAUGHT STOP TO START GOOGLE GOODNIGHT EVERYONE

IAP

Reply to
Proteus IIV

Yes, I like PDF-XChange too now I've run through many datasheets and other documents , hasn't goofed up on any of them :) I can live with the 'hand' tool not selecting text.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant