Electroluminescent sheet cutting

Hi,

I am wanting to make a panel, with 36 individual EL backlight pads.

Does anyone know if i must order the pads individualy, with electrodes all prepared, or if i could cut up a larger sheet, and 'add electrodes' to the patches ?

I was looking at the following, which seems to be the cheapest price i can find;

I was thinking of perhaps heating up some metalic pads and 'pushing them on' to the top and bottom of the sheet - but somehow i doubt this will work :) Anyone tried anything like this ?

I have found another one, at rs components

#267-8784), which is a 12x13cm sheet with a contact all the way along - to allow it to be cutup smaller and still have a connection. However its quite small, and expensive compared to larger sheets.

Any ideas ? :)

Alex.

Reply to
Quack

These are not trivial to terminate as you need to connect to the transparent top electrode. You can buy stuff which is designed to be connected to with clips - you can cut it but you need to have one of the original edges as these have contact points.

Using seperate ready-made panels would be the best option, as these will be properly sealed for longest life.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

You can cut it simply but it won't last so long as properly sealed types because of humidity intrusion.

cu - Henry

Reply to
Henry Kiefer

There is a lot of good information on this site:

And if you have some volume they can make custom units up for you. I do not know about prices. I am in no way associated with this company. I HAVE only seen their products.

Reply to
Clarence

It will be resealed in a double sided clear laminate type material. This final product is intended to be a 'mat' of sorts (but not for walking on). So i think they wont need to be individually sealed if the mat itself it sealed properly.

The problem is more of a 'can i add electrodes'. Any ideas how this can be done ?

I realise some material comes with one side ready for 'clips', but they are 'small pieces' and expensive. I want to use a large cheaper mat, cut it up, add electrodes and then reseal the whole thing in laminate. :)

Maybe not possible, oh well. I have already ordered the previously mentioned RS sheets (with 1 side of clip electrodes) - i will use them for prototyping. But they are expensive for the final product.

Thanks :)

Alex.

Reply to
Quack

Humidity intrusion is very hard to prevent.

It fully diffuses throughout the hard black plastic of silicon chip packages within a few tens of hours.

I suspect thin plastic laminate isn't going to slow the process much.

Reply to
Kryten

These guys must be buying rolls of it, and cutting it up to order. Thats great. So, how to they add electrodes ? :)

Thanks for the link - perhaps i will ask them :)

The reason i am so stuck on this question is because we want to be able to rapid prototype signage/cutouts - and the cheapest way would be to use cutouts from large sheets and our own electrodes. We have many uses of this stuff, and atleast in the begining large quantity custom shapes wont be needed. Well, thats if we can add our own electrodes.

Alex.

Reply to
Quack