Dumbed down consumer electronics: Adding DTV channels

Our house is one additional ridge south of the South Mountain towers, so I don't have to constantly see the !@#$% blinking lights ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

I vaguely recall multiple WLW's....

WLW-C, Cincinnati

WLW-T, Toledo

Weren't there others as well? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Ok, so now I did a web search:

Only one of the sub-channels (21.4) is in Spanish. The rest is faith-based broadcasting:

Or is the Wikipedia entry wrong?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

No, only $20 for the radio. The other $20 is for the retirement fund and the "jobs bank" :-)

--
SCRN, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

miles.

Digital? I don't do digital, I do cable... no fade-out here ;-)

I was remembering an AM radio station off the top of my head that I thought was KPAZ.

Looks like I was confusing it with KTAZ.

Since I can't speak a lick of Spanish, how would I know ;-)

Which presents a funny situation "en familia"...

My Hispanic son-in-law speaks no Spanish.

My Hispanic granddaughter will be taking Spanish at U of A this year.

Both my oldest daughter and oldest son are street fluent in (Mexican) Spanish... the daughter from running United Way in Yuma, the son from working summers installing sprinkler systems in Tucson (with Mexican crew working for him), while attending U of A. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

miles.

Probably Telemundo.

And I speak German with an accent and English with an accent. Both somewhat slight but noticeable, I guess that's just the usual fate of an expat. However, it can be worse: An engineer at a client speaks English with a Puerto-Rican accent yet cannot speak or write in Spanish.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

WLWT (WLW-T) stands for WLW-Television, also in Cincinatti (no longer in the same broadcasting group).

Apparently there was a WLW-D in Dayton, WLW-I Indianapolis, WLW-A Atlanta, and WLW-C Columbus, all related to WLW (note the five-limit on broadcast ownership). Note the hyphens were used by the broadcast company's marketing departments, not the FCC (as rebroadcasting transmitters often do now).

krw

GM's split: $20 radio - $20 union thug - $160 DNC.

Reply to
krw

When the skip is in good, you can get amazing reception. Like when i wn Bremerton WA (late 1973) and from about 10 PM to midnight KKHI out of San Francisco would _bury_ the adjacent channel (10 kHz away) local station.

Reply to
JosephKK

Of Bourse.

Probably would have if it was available that way at that time.

Reply to
JosephKK

[...]

What wasn't available? Stamps? Envelopes? Dinner? Wife? Ok then, maybe a girlfriend?

Ok, diskettes could be hard to come by but we sometimes used audio cassettes for data storage. Those were cheap. I believe Commodore called them datasettes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, both radio & TV stations, although the call letters have changed over the years. WLW-D (Dayton) was WDTN before I left the area. It's been almost 25 years since I left that area. OTOH, the inside of that

500 kW transmitter was impressive to a 17 year old technician. :)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The 'Datasette' was a modified cassette deck that plugged onto the PC board with a six pin edge connector, not the storage media.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, but you can't see inside the studios from your house. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(non-free)

Did you ever talk to the engineers who designed them? Where do you think I got the numbers?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, but you know how it goes. People start using a catchy name for the media as well. Just like many people say "I made a mess here, do you have a Kleenex?" even though Kleenex is the manufacturer and not the product name.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

(non-free)

Yes, but not in the US. I don't think there are any manufacturers left for car stereos (which is sad).

From GM? :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I left the "area" 52 years ago when I trotted off to MIT :-)

They were WLW-C, WLW-T, etc., back then. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

And Frigidaire ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Harry Reid says...
I don't know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican

I observe...
We don't know how anyone of legitimate parentage can be a Democrat

Almost bought a lot on the next ridge north, but checked it out at night to see how driving the ridge road in the dark would be. The towers were blindingly annoying. ...Jim Thompson