Dumbed down consumer electronics: Adding DTV channels

(non-free)

GSM

The used to be DELCO _Radio_ Division. I designed chips for them. And Guide Lamp Division... designed a head light dimmer for them. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yesterday I needed one more hose to finally get the swamp cooler going and that store had a few old appliances on display. One was a fridge from the 30's that ran with sulfur. It had a big round thingie on top that looked like a radial engine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

(non-free)

GSM

One of mine ran on the DELCO process. But that's all gone now. The next one will run at X-Fab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sulfur? I've seen units that ran an ammonia cycle, natural gas powered, that had the "big round thingie on top"... I believe it's a heat exchanger. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

entire

(non-free)

GSM

radios

Yep. Once-upon-a-time Delco had a respectable HV process.

Almost all of my recent stuff is on X-Fab. Which process? ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

This one was before the ammonia versions, it was the one in the 2nd picture:

Quote "As the refrigerating medium, these refrigerators used either sulfur dioxide, which is corrosive to the eyes and may cause loss of vision, painful skin burns and lesions, or methyl formate, which is highly flammable, harmful to the eyes, and toxic if inhaled or ingested."

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That may be, but I never saw any 'Compact Cassette' marked Datasette.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Then they aren't tall enough. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Presumably the evil datalosing Sinclair ZX Microdrives as used on the QL never made it across the pond.

ITYM sulphur dioxide (which was at one time used) as was ammonia.

Both have boiling point in about the right range but are horribly toxic for home use. I still recall an industrial scale ice plant for diazo dyes with a 30' flywheel with a pump that shook the ground on the compression cycle and smelt of ammonia downwind.

Molten sulphur is only used for cooling in Hell.

Regards, Martin Bron

Reply to
Martin Brown

(non-free)

GSM

GM never made car radios. That was why they bought Delco Electronics in Kokomo, IN. I used to go to the Delco seminars. Even in the early '70s they wanted to make the radio simple to install, but doing so would have eliminated a couple hundred union jobs.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Quite visible when you're on an adjacent hill. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

entire

(non-free)

GSM

radios

Delco was already a GM division in the early '60's... I used to go there (Kokomo) and to the alternator plant in Anderson, IN, to get my monthly dose of boredom... most exciting place in Anderson was the fire-pit in the lobby of the Holiday Inn ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Some of the towers around here stick up through the clouds. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

entire

(non-free)

other GSM

radios

Delco was one of the early radio manufacting companies. Their early radios are very collectable.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

can

But you live in "flat-land".

Actually South Mountain is in the clouds one or two days a year when it rains ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Companies"

can

A 1749 foot tower doesn't care.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There were, in Europe. IIRC "data cassette" or something like that. I guess the only reason was to make a buck more on them. Supposedly they were 100% tested for no dropouts in the magnetic layer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

entire

(non-free)

other GSM

radios

The XH035 process, 100V.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A stronger, thicker backing so it wouldn't stretch like cheap c-120 cassettes. Radio Shack used to sell them. Some were as short as five minutes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just bought answering machine grade. 30 minutes, sturdy as heck, and a lot cheaper.