DSL Range Extender

My back acreage butts up to the local industrial park (makes it a lot easier to walk up to the hangar at the airport). However, the industrial park has DSL and we are the AT&T redheaded stepchild that won't get broadband for at least 5 years at the house.

If I can convince one of my neighbors to let me install a phone line at their business and then run a relatively high powered repeater through some fairly high gain antennas to the house, is there a box on the market that I can BUY off the shelf that will let me full duplex to and from a remote site from the house?

There is fairly heavy tree cover (evergreen, mostly cedar) between the industrial park and the house, hence the need for relatively high power.

Worry not about interference. We are so far out into the boonies that they have to pipe in sunshine.

No, I don't have the luxury of time for design. I can get a couple of watts at a couple of gigs fairly simply, but I just don't have the time for it right now. The antennas are trivial and I can do them quite easily, whether they be water pipe yagis or coffee can horns.

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

This might do it but I don't know if it's legit:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:15:35 -0700) it happened RST Engineering wrote in :

Was not Intel selling something like high power WiFi? Wimax?

If the area is yours, maybe run some glassfibers?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If you want to go from DSL to WiFi take a look at what L-Com has for amps and such. I would just take the DSL into the modem/router and from there to a wifi radio to transmit to your house. How far is it from the park to your house?

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

What sort of range are you talking of? A few hundred metres (easy) or kilometres. A pair of passive back to back cantennas is alleged to allow you to make things go round corners but I have never tried it.

Clear line of sight with no trees works best. I use a similar setup to allow my broadband connection to reach out to the village hall for running a computer class. High gain directional antenna at each end and then pray that it doesn't rain during the lecture!

Wet windows makes all the difference if you are to stay roughly within the letter (but not the spirit of the law). The transmitters are legal and legit, but the ERP right in front of a directional antenna is not.

At least in the UK there are various cheap USB dongles that do WiFi at not quite legal powers and combined with a high gain directional antenna you can get a respectable line of sight range. I also found that the same devices had fully Apple Mac compliant chipsets (a rarity) and triggered a minor buying frenzy by accident.

I expect in the US you will do a bit better since wet brick and stonework is pretty tough on microwaves and the Victorian plasters' habit of putting chicken mesh in the walls to stop plaster slumping makes old houses here almost like a Faraday cage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Roughly 200 meters.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

That could easily be handled with a backhoe and some cable. But call DigAlert first :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Just throw some SM or MM fiber in the ground maybe 6 inches deep. That's how they put Fios in my house. Bunch of Mexicans with a wide digging bar did 150 feet in about an hour. You can't even tell it's there. Run two separated runs for diversity if it's critical and space them 50 feet apart. Media converters are really cheap for MM.

tm

Reply to
tm

How far do you need to get? Isn't it easier to extend the phone line using wire?

Anyway, if you use directional antenna's (which are easy to make, look with Google) you can get many miles from a standard Wifi router.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That would involve digging up about a hundred meters of asphalt and moving a 10,000 gallon propane tank. Ain't gonna happen.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Diamond saw -> loooong slit, drop in fiber, pour or caulk. That's how cable guys sometimes do that. Your knees might hurt a bit later that night.

Just go around it?

But anyhow, the device in my first link could probably do that job via radio link.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

2 x something like this might be the solution. I have not done any business with these folks so I cannot say good, bad or otherwise. They just popped up in a google search. They are in Quebec. I might try them to get a signal out to the back of my property.

There are probably other cheaper wireless solutions.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Just extend the phone line. 200 meters extra is nothing for DSL.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Not really. I've cut a slit of roughly 250 meters in the floor of my living room to install tubing for floor heating.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

They have some pre made bridges.

Martin Riddle

Best thing I ever bought was a set of strap-ons. Knee pads that is, the kind used by tile setters and carpet installers ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Maybe you are younger :-)

Oh, for a minute there I thought you meant something else ... :-)

I've got those. But after 3-4 hours the knees still hurt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What's with you youngsters? I'm still on my original knees (only the left hip is artificial), and my knees don't hurt after 3-4 hours.

My knee pads are moderately soft. The hard rubber types... why bother... they only stop the tiny little pebbles from burrowing into your knees ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Slit trench in multimode glass. Cheap, dependable.

David Lesher

YAGIs are your friends... So are 99$ 2.4 Ghz Bidirectional Amplifiers if your in the Boonies.

I am amazed where I can find "Bars" these days.

Better wifi control software lets you see signal levels in decibels. It would be wise to pick a channel scheme not in use by your neighbors.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts