Distortion question

Is less than 1% THD for a preamp considered good, average, bad?

Gain is 40dBV, frequency 20-20k, Rin~130k, Rout=3.9k

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

I meant less than .1% (sorry)

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Horrible.

Reply to
tm

I wouldn't use it.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

"John - KD5YI

** Gain is only ever " dB ".

0.1% at what level and frequency ?

If several volts and falling at lower levels, its perfectly OK for most jobs in audio.

But using budget op-amps like the NE5534 or NE5532 will get you down to around 0.002% easily.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok, thanks, Phil.

Input is 5mV, output is .5V, frequency .8dB down at 20kHz and flat to 20kHz.

Yes, I know I can use those OAs for a super amplifier. I just wanted to see if I could put a two-transistor amp together myself. And, I just didn't want it to be crap.

Thanks again, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Mistake:

Input is 5mV, output is .5V, frequency .8dB down at 20Hz and flat to

20kHz. ^^^^

Sorry.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

"John - KD5YI"

** Millions of phono pre-amps were made with 2 BJTs in a feedback pair with around 0.1% THD.

I use a simple, 6 transistor " discrete op-amp " stage that easily out performs the NE5532. The secret is in using beta matched NPN and PNP devices - still not possible on the same chip AFAIK.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

BAD.

It should be an order of magnitude lower at the very least.

Reply to
TheQuickBrownFox

Okay, then. I don't feel so bad with what I have.

But, I'm going to get a few of those OAs you mentioned. They sure look good.

Thanks, Phil.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

If you only buy onesey twoseys they are expensive. If you are going to pay a premium anyway, you should buy one of the even better than he mentions jobs out there. I mean if it is $3 each or $5 each (or even $15)for the 10X improvement, I'd get the good (better) one.

The AD8066 or the OPA636 or the OPA637

try this:

Looks like exactly what I need.

I'll do it a bit differently though. I work with conduction cooling designs all day. It will be fun to miniaturize this even further. Very nice, clean design.

Reply to
Spurious Response

About $1US in qty of one for a dual device. That's pretty inexpensive in my opinion.

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Rather poor.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That is more like it!

Reply to
Robert Baer

with

od.

I like the OPA134 (or 2134) Didgikey has these in DIP's which is nice for prototyping.

Add a few with your NE5532 order.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

TI has chips ten times better at under a buck each. That ne5532 chip is the LAST chip you should choose for this application.

The link I posted has characterizations of each. DAmn near any a person with half a brain would choose. The 5532 is way down at the bottom of the pile.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Interesting! The OPA637 is $24.21 in single quantities.

Wow, what a deal, SFB (Shit-For-Brains). God, what a dolt.

Reply to
John - KD5YI