dielectric effect - Silicone Sealant

Hi All,

I's like to cover a circuit board in Silicone Sealant .... there 20k ohm input impedance cirucits and a GSM modem (2Watts).

Does Silicone Sealant have a dielectric effect what other material can used instead?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

Example here

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

I think he's looking for potting material, something like Sylgard

Martin Riddle

ALL materials have a dielectric effect, including air. Now if you want less dielectric effect, consider vacuum...

Reply to
Robert Baer

hm

used

Silicone RTV sealants usually cure by release of acetic acid; the effect on copper is ... unfortunate for electronics. There are silicone formulations that are compatible with most electronic components and wiring, if you can afford 'em.

Reply to
whit3rd

20k ohm

can used

40 years ago. Damn uncommon these days.

Just try to buy the old style today. I has been gone for more than 20 years over the problem you remarked upon.

Reply to
JosephKK

Not at the hardware store.

Now, what you're doing putting bathtub caulk on a circuit, I don't know...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

If all you're looking for is conformal coating, you can get that in a spray can - I've used it before, but it was about $25 bucks a can... You might google[1] "conformal coating spray".

Good Luck! Rich [1] Should Google be capitalized as a proper name, even when it's used as a verb? thanks.

Reply to
Rich Grise

Regardless, before putting anything on, a sure insulator like many clear sprays of enamel can be put on critical parts before silicone or anything else. In one Nut's & Volts issue I read in boating, it recommended using the coating before siliconing wiring. Liquid TFE would be nice.

Lacquer does not insulate moisture like enamel does.

greg

Reply to
GregS