Diac Testing

Gentlemen,

I have a large assortment of diodes of all descriptions in my copious parts inventory. However, there are some diacs in amongst them as I recently discovered to my cost in terms of wasted time. Now these diacs don't obey the customary blue marking and are visually indistinguishable from regular rectifier diodes. To prevent future f*ck-ups, I need to identify the diacs and remove them from the diodes. Can any of you gurus come up with a quick and simple test to differentiate the two groups? The usual component testers don't seem to work with diacs and just flag them as 'unknown or faulty part' or occasionally as zener diodes, which is even worse. Any ideas?

CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You could make a simple curve tracer. Since diacs can have trigger voltages of 30-40V it needs to be a bit higher voltage. You will need an oscilloscope capable of XY tracing (like an old cathode ray based scope) a resistor of say 1 or 2 kohm and a mains transformer with a secondary of approx 30V rms to get a peak voltage comfortably above 40V. Wire the unknown diode in series with the resistor across the transformer. Connect the scope common to the diode-resistor junction and the X input to the diode-transformer junction and Y input to the resistor-transformer junction. The curves will help you identify regular diodes from diacs and give a good estimate of zener volatge upto 43V or so.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Build an R-C relaxation oscillator, with a scope or an LED as the discharge indicator.

I wanted a warning light for a high-voltage low-current power supply, and the easy fix was a rc oscillator with a diac and an LED. It makes bright blinks with very low current.

You are being helpful, as usual.

Does that link work?

Yup, all fine now, thanks. Fred's not happy because I don't buy into his climate alarmism. I've posted incontrovertible evidence that the CO2 levels aren't changing one iota in the long term - and for some reason that seems to really annoy and upset him.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes.

Reply to
ehsjr

Here you go:

Cursitor Doom

Here's my office:

Your office is lovely. That typewriter could use a service though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

like a 9-volt.

Only once.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's scarcely your only area of intellectual incompetence.

You dug out a handful of dubious estimates of atmospheric CO2 levels from stuff published before 1900, and seem to have selected the ones that suit your thesis. There were all over the shop when they were first published - Charles Keeling was the first guy to get set up to record a lot of observations, and found that he had to very careful where he put his observatory if he wanted stable and consistent results. Muana Loa worked for him from 1958. Cape Grim on the far west coast of Tasmania works too and has been recording similar data since about 1980.

You are happy to ignore the ice core data - the Greenland ice cores cover the last ice age and the Antarctic ice cores cover several

on the basis that that information has been faked by the climate change lobby. There 's a lot of ice left in the Antarctic for you to check out.

You are addicted potty conspiracy theories, and keep on trotting Barbara Cartland level "true romances " about them as if they deserved grown-up attention.

Lots of us are unhappy with your enthusiasm for spreading half-witted nonsense. John Larkin isn't so worried - he is a sucker for clijmate change denial propaganda and quotes Anthony Watts as if Anthony Watts wasn't a bought and paid-for mouthpieces of the Heartlands Institute

Anthony William Sloman

funny

Reply to
Tabby

It only it were. Anthropogenic global warming is a serious issue, and clowns like Donald Trump, Cursitor Doom and John Larkin who pretend to take it seriously and lie about it are a menace.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman