designing with pots

recommend

pot

gain

from

and

We still buy thumbwheel switches. Not for $2K, but they are getting expensive. Haven't found a good replacement yet.

Reply to
krw

recommend

pot

gain

from

and

Not if the signal must be free of any such step events.

You should see what precision variable RF attenuators go for.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

It all depends on the level of precision desired, and cost and application.

So your "best pot" declaration is no declaration at all.

Reply to
Lil Red Riding In The Hood

=A0:)

Don't overlook "digital pots". They can give you the eeprom based setting without the micro.

Another thing is to try to redesign the system so that it works over the range of values in question. Adding parts cost to save labor is often worth it.

Reply to
MooseFET

recommend

pot

gain

from

and

or

Use more bits! All pots, but especially wirewounds, have finite resolution.

John

They're OK for not-so-demanding apps that don't need extreme precision or a lot of bandwidth. MDACs are better in those cases, or just doing some math in an FPGA or a uP.

A couple of people make IC digital capacitors, which can be handy, too.

Right. 0.1 or even 0.05% resistors can cost less than a pot, and can save test labor.

John

recommend

hte pot

gain

from

and

or

Depends on the wiper configuration. They can be made to NOT have discreet steps.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

mend

te pot

gain

from

n and

ent to

or

ent

"> Hmm. we pay on an average of 78.. 180 bucks for a 10 turn pot"

Are these the same ones where you throw away the first 1/2 turn? (mentioned in a previous post.) We buy $8 Bourns 10 T pots that seem to work great right down to zero.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

pot

Sounds like an encoder and a small uP or FPGA would be cheaper, more accurate, and more reliable.

John

Yes, we use the $8 B's also. Those are for general purpose etc..

The others we use, come in a variety of packages. Ball bearing shafts, lower drag with less slop in the drive. Also linearity, step size and low back lash are more preferable along with temperature distortion on the form.

Depending on what you're trying to do, it makes a difference.

For a hand control panel mount it does not make much difference other than long life cycles and stronger body for abuse operations. But for cases where they are connected to moving parts and used to align things to work in sync, you want them to keep their tolerance and resolution to be high.

Reply to
Jamie

You're an idiot if you pay that much for them.

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook

Thank you for that brilliant insight.

John

Sorry, we pay for them. We don't steal them..

Reply to
Jamie

Sorry, you illiterate bastard, but what part of "You are an idiot if you pay THAT MUCH for them" do you not understand? If you are so thick that you cannot see what that remark suggests, then you DO deserve to get reamed EVERY TIME you buy an electrical or electronic component.

You stole a soul from God. Give it back, the hall of souls is hunting you. Stupidity as deep as yours needs to be re-spun. There is no way possible for you to be that stupid in your next life.

Reply to
Son of a Sea Cook