Designing HV transformers.

That'd be nice Win.

--
Thanks,
Fred.
Reply to
Fred Bartoli

Hi M,

could you please include me in that distribution as well. substitute my name for my_name (IOW firstname snipped-for-privacy@IEEE.org). I have been interested in these things for some time also (but again, have yet to find one I can really buy/use)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I would also point out that "sharp" (IOW not well radiused) edges can cause long-term problems with winding insulation, which is stressed around a tight corner. The inside edge insulation gets squished up, and the outer edge gets thinned out. Add heat + time, and creep may well result.

I had a hilarious argument with a so-called mechanical engineer about this once. He reckoned that a 2.8mm dia. O-ring, bent 90 degrees around a 1mm radius, maintains its shape. I reckoned he was an idiot. I was right, water poured in at the edges. Of course he did have a 2.8mm channel for the O-ring at the corner (cf 2.5mm elsewhere). The O-ring thinned out by about 0.3mm. Even showing him the o-ring under a microscope wasnt enough to convince him. It convinced me never to use him again.

His fix was to use a 3mm O-ring, which made the unit impossible to assemble. His fix for that was to use vaseline, which then destroyed (completely! looked like a sledge hammer had been used) $300,000 worth of polycarbonate-based plastic enclosures, which *he* had designed and made. His choice of material, too. It took about 3 months for the scale of the problem to become apparent, in the field. At that stage, lawyers were called (and I learned a lot about the interaction of plastics and other goodies)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given
[...]

Do you have the url?

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I have 20 CDs, containing everything the UFFC has written since 1950 (up to 2001 IIRC), along with a dozen or so books. that cost US$50, but I had to join UFFC for a year.

the books are:

Acoustic Waves: Devices, Imaging, and Analog Signal Processing - G. S. Kino

Bulk Acoustic Waves: Theory and Devices - Joel F. Rosenbaum

Crystal Oscillator Design and Temperature Compensation - M. E. Frerking

Design of Crystal and Other Harmonic Oscillators - Benjamin Parzen, Arthur Ballato

Handbook of Quartz Crystal Devices - David Salt

Introduction to Quartz Crystal Unit Design - Virgil E. Bottom

Quartz Crystals for Electrical Circuits - R. A. Heising

Quartz Resonator Handbook, Manufacturing Guide for "AT" Type Units - R. E. Bennett

Surface-Wave Devices for Signal Processing - David P. Morgan

any of them tickle your fancy?

yes, please. I am interested in low power (0.1 - 1W) supplies for IGBT gatedrives, so need 5kV isolation and CHEAP.

will do.

yep, hadnt finished thread b4 sending post. got the zip, thanks Joel & M.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Joel has it all posted. thanks Joel.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given
[...]

Thanks!

I searched back through the thread and got the one where he said he would put it on his web site,

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: Re: Designing HV transformers. Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:13:37 -0700 From: "Joel Kolstad"

Win & others,

Mebart has begun sending me his data, and I'll stick it on a web site after I get it all and have bundled it up.

---Joel

but I couldn't find any post with his url. So I appreciate your help!

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Joels post 27/5/2005, but:

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

No worries. Karmic quid-pro-quo.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

- an 18.6MB zip file.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

A 12-second download ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Pretty good, it took me 35 seconds (Comcast cable).

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

dans le

I've missed it. Thanks.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

If your cable service isn't screwing up again. :)

Robert

Reply to
Robert