design rigor: electronics vs. software

Or for any node that you want to get nicely labeled on a plot.

Sure you can. Just hit it with the probe. It will plot as V(n008) or something like that. I know what it means because I just probed it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's exactly what happened.

I'll pass.

And not what I said at all. You are letting your lack of reading comprehension skills show again.

Reply to
mpm

You are not at all interesting to talk to. You distort facts, you believe facts that aren't true and you deny everything that shows this happening. Then on top you resort to crude insults.

If you just deny everything that doesn't fit your preconceptions, you aren't living in reality.

I have no interest in bantering words with you if there is no reality in the mix. In that regard you are like a lot of the dim wits here. I don't converse with them much either.

Bye

--

  Rick C.

  ---- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

"tiles" were KNOCKED off by hard frozen foam main tank jacket.

That tank insulation, at supersonic velocities of the craft, break free and slow and impact hard. The shuttle didn't fail, per se, the kid gloves we should have donned to lift it into space were never created. It was being tossed up there by a drunken uncle.

NONE "fell off". They were impacted. Then they broke away by atmosphereic forces at that point In that case, they are fragile, and there is no second layer beneath. The true failure was in the tank design. If pieces had no come free from it, no tile would have been impacted and broken free.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

[snip]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Bummer, sorry to hear about that. (I have a personal interest in seeing this type of device working and on the market). Did anyone else pick up the project, or did it just die?

Reply to
RBlack

The guy doing the MCAS control loop may well have had a specification which implied that sensor data the module was presented with was verified and trustworthy. He was also given safe maximum limits for the jack screw adjustment on the initial specification which were later changed to dangerous ones after the system had undergone flight tests.

The fault was in higher level systems engineering *NOT* coding.

The area where there is most need for improvement is a sanity check across all of the sensors to determine if an emergency is real or an artefact of a bad sensor.

The thing that ultimately made MCAS so lethal was a very simple edit of a set limit for the maximum jackscrew adjustment from 0.6 degrees to a whopping 2.5 degrees. That sealed the fate of the unfortunate planes.

MCAS was an awful bodge hidden from view and undocumented in the flight manual. When things went wrong the pilots didn't stand much chance.

There was an optional extra; not present on either of the crashed flights to have a light on the dashboard for "AoA sensors disagree".

Unfortunately they somehow broke it and it wasn't picked up (or was quietly brushed under the carpet to ship product on time).

We don't know that they didn't but were told to STFU and keep coding - we are behind on this project already - cut every possible corner.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote in news:qvmkdq $g9d$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

disagree".

Why not a nice BIG INDICATOR on the dash! Damn!

A pilot *should* know if they are heading into a stall by feel from experience, ESPECIALLY on a commercial flight which almost never ends up in such an AoA.

Not only should they agree, but they need to be built to fix themselves from being frozen. Full range of motion actuators

*inside* the sensor housing along with the sensor read opto slot wheels, and maybe something to keep the bearings warm. BOTH sensors should ALWAYS agree, and if they do not, then the sensors get cycled through the RoM (range of motion)test and released, then the other, all the while alerting the cockpit. The whole reset/reread funtion shouldn't take more than a few seconds each, so 5 or 10 seconds across both.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown wrote in news:qvmkdq$g9d$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Reliabilty and proofing tests are *NOT* on the 'possible' list.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, that was a sad one, for sure. It remains vivid in my memory, so at the risk of boring people, here's the tale.

The founder called me out of the blue at 3 PM on Christmas Eve, 2012. He turned out to be a charming fellow with a lot of drive and not a lot of education, who was practically supernatural at raising money. He wanted me to build him an instrument, because that's what I do.

He'd patented the general principle, which avoided the individual physiological variations that usually bedevil those sorts of measurements.

The idea was to use a hand cradle with a virtual pivot (*) holding a fibre bundle against the web of the first and second fingers. There are two arteries very close to the surface there, so you get to measure fresh blood instead of tissue fluid, and no one has hair, fat, or callouses there, so the physiology is very cooperative. He had some promising data that he took himself using a Perkin-Elmer FTIR and his hand cradle. (He somehow talked some guys at USC into giving him lab space and some help doing that--he was entirely self-taught, which has its strengths and weaknesses.)

The project was an unusual one for me, in that I didn't have my arms around the whole measurement--I built the gizmo, but the founder had his USC statistics friends use their AI nous to build the model and extract the blood solute data. Thus I don't actually know how that was done. (It wasn't something simple like spectral differencing, anyway.)

I did a photon budget, which is my term for a detailed feasibility calculation emphasizing stability and SNR. That's super important because without calculating how good the measurement _could_ be, you never really know how you're doing. A photon budget prevents you from wasting time on recreational impossibilities on the one hand, or turning a silk purse back into a sow's ear on the other. In this case it looked pretty good, using a tungsten source, a custom-designed split bundle of about 20 fibres (TX + RX), a conventional Czerny-Turner monochromator, a single extended-InGaAs photodiode, and a chopper plus lock-in for detection.

The proof-of-concept system took me about six weeks start to finish, including the photon budget, optical design, designing and building the electronics, assembling the optomechanics, and writing the software. It was built on a 12 x 24-inch aluminum breadboard using a combination of hhacked Microbench (**) parts, JB Weld (the poor man's machine shop), and a servo from an RC airplane for moving the grating. The grating cradle was also built from toy airplane parts, courtesy of servocity.com. The electronics was all built in die cast aluminum stomp boxes, dead bug style, wired up with BNC cables. The chopper was a commercial (Thor Labs) unit, and the back end was a LabJack and a console-mode C++ program running on a second-hand laptop.

It all worked great, and was very amusing to watch--an advanced clinical instrument built out of JB Weld and toy parts. (Wouldn't the FDA have loved that?) ;)

We did the preliminary acceptance test by having some friends over for cocktails and measuring their blood spectra every 15 minutes or so. The data did exactly as we hoped--nice repeatable curves with the right time dependence and no big physiological variations between subjects. We did some glucose work using a strip reader for comparison, but the strips have relatively poor accuracy, so we concentrated on the alcohol measurement for that part of the demo. (Quaffing a few cool ones is much more fun than sticking pins in your fingers, too.)

After the founder used the POC data to raise a bunch more money, we brought the proto and the Perkin-Elmer FTIR to a contract engineering house in Orange County CA that will remain nameless because they have this unfortunate tendency to sue everybody in sight. The founder kept me sort of distantly in the loop, but his crucial mistake was trying to save money by supervising the CE firm himself. (I tried to help, but they ignored me almost entirely because I wasn't the one writing the cheques.)

The CE folks proceeded to fall into every pothole along the road, like a drunk. They ignored the photon budget, and so redesigned the front end to use an ordinary op amp TIA, not realizing they lost about 15 dB of SNR in the process. (I managed to get that one fixed, and the guy responsible taken off the project. Unfortunately they were almost all like that.)

They replaced the direct drive for the grating with a belt drive, which gave nice smooth motion but of course rapidly lost accuracy as the belt squirmed around while moving, so that the calibration wouldn't sit still. They needed more encoder precision, so they put an encoder on the motor as well as the grating, and did some micky-mouse trick to combine the two encoder readings. Even the magnetic encoder on the grating shaft refused to sit still--it drifted around like mad. I went there to try to get to the bottom of some of this stuff, and although they mostly sidelined me because I wasn't writing the cheques, we did manage to get to the bottom of that one. Turned out that the encoder's output was the duty cycle of a pulse train (like the RC servo only backwards), and they were measuring the pulse width instead, using a capture input of their MCU. That turned the frequency drift into a position drift. Once it was fixed, I hit that poor encoder with cold spray and a heat gun, and couldn't get it to move at all. Kudos to US Digital for that one.

The belt-drive system failed nonetheless, basically because the measurement was being done on the slope of the very strong IR absorption spectrum of water in the 1.4-1.7 micron range, so that small wavelength shifts caused much larger amplitude errors.

I told them to use a sine-bar drive like every other Czerny-Turner monochromator in the world, but they refused, insisting on using a worm-and-sector gear instead, with the encoder on the worm shaft. Unlike nearly any other sort of gearing, worms work using sliding friction. That makes the grease film thin out with time. I calculated for their benefit that in their design, with the very small radius of the sector gear, the maximum lubricant variation we could tolerate was about 70 nanometres. Since they were nearly finished with the prototype build for the formal clinical trial, I told them to use dry molybdenum disulphide for lubricant instead of grease.

They straight-up refused, saying they couldn't get MoS2, so I sent them a link to the exact SKU on fastenall.com, after verifying that their local Fastenall had it in stock. (I even sent them a Mapquest link so they could find the store. That was a bit sarcastic, which I regret, but I was getting pretty tired of them by that point.) They proceeded to ship one unit with grease and three units unlubricated.

When I complained about all the directionless fiddling they were doing, one bright lad smiled and said brightly, "That's engineering!" He was one of the better ones.

They also took the POC proto apart to use bits of it in their test system, so that they had no comparison data, and, oh, yes, they broke the $100k FTIR and didn't tell anyone.

The units failed the acceptance test. I attended it, but since the USC folks weren't crunching the data in real time, the failure wasn't entirely apparent till later. By that point the CE had run through a year's time and most of a million bucks.

Some months later, two units arrived on my bench, along with an urgent request for me to get to the bottom of it all.

Turned out to be a real onion problem--you know, peel off one layer, cry, and peel off the next.

The phase of the detected signal was moving around by 10 degrees or so, which was easily enough to destroy the measurement. The code seemed to be a PID controller using an optointerrupter on the chopper wheel, which should have been fine. I built a strobe light using an HP 3325A synthesizer driving a LED, so that I could see the loop dynamics. The controller was totally broken--regardless of the settings of P, I, and D, there was no way of making the phase sit still. A gentle stream of canned air would move the phase, and it would never recover--i.e. there was no integral term in the control law, despite what the settings would have one believe.

And then it turned out that they'd never built a lock-in before, and were trying to extract the (approximately triangular) signal waveform by least-squares curve fitting to a sine wave instead of using an FFT like normal people. Everybody screws up their first digital lock-in, but I've never seen one as bad as that. (For non signals-and-systems folks: least squares fitting works OK at high SNR, but for noisy data it falls apart completely. The FFT uses orthogonality, and so works at any SNR.)

I didn't get to the last onion layer, because the founder ran out of both dough and friends. He never did pay me for my last month's work.

A pity. I would have made those boxes work eventually.

(*) One where the business end slides around on a curved surface, like the blade assembly on some razors. (**) A cage system using plates held together with 6-mm centreless-ground stainless steel rods, similar to the Thor Labs 30-mm cage system.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 7:29:08 AM UTC-5, Phil Hobbs wrote: [...]

That is an amazing story. Thanks.

Was there no way you contact the owner and warn him they were ruining the design? How did they get authorization to redesign the product in the first place?

How do we prevent this from happening to us?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Thirty lines was the figure I saw.

Good software practice is to keep your procedures shorter than a page and g et somebody else to run through it before you file it.

Engineers make mistakes. The art is in finding them early.

And get reviewed and checked even more carefully.

Software is just mathematical procedures. There is a branch of software the ory devoted to letting you write provably correct code, but it doesn't to w ork well enough in practice to be worth the trouble.

Obviously not. My example of that is the Spice simulation of a Baxandall Cl ass-D oscillator with bipolar transistors and a big choke.

The circuit "squegs" in real life, but not in simulation, or at least not w ith a Gummell-Poon transistor model, which is known to do a bad job of simu lating a inverted transistor. The VBIC model might do better, but transisto r manufacturers treat them as "commercial in confidence" and I've never got my hand on one to try it.

lator1.htm

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Oh, I told him, all right, and he told them. They did fix a few things, but mostly said "yes" and meant "no". Since I wasn't supervising them, they didn't keep me in the loop with what they were doing to fix the problems.

Well, as I said, the FDA wouldn't have liked a system made of toy parts, so the optomechanics did need re-doing. That part they actually did reasonably well, apart from the grating mechanism and the chopper servo.

The electronics they just went ahead and re-did, I think in order to reuse some previous design. Digital lock-ins are difficult because you have to be totally paranoid about things like slew artifacts, settling time, input voltage sag during sampling, and anything getting in on the reference. The frequency domain is brutal that way, and AFAICT nobody ever learns that except by way of at least one failure.

Stay out of Orange County. ;)

Seriously, having a sharp technical person supervising, with a formal spec, design reviews, sign-offs on hardware and software, unit tests, and so on would have prevented it. It would have been half again as expensive, but the system would have worked. Checking the CE's references would have been a smart move too. They claimed that their contracts mostly forbade them to tell who their customers were, and the founder fell for that one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I want a wideband optical spectrum analyzer, say 300 to 1600 nm, for checking LEDs and IR fiber lasers and generally knowing where we are. It doesn't need to be very sensitive or terribly accurate. Nobody makes one, and there should be a market, and it sounds a lot easier than that project.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Sure, why would a code monkey at Boeing want to know anything about airplanes?

As that CS genius Joe Biden said recently, anybody can learn to code.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Smaller TAM though. ;)

You can do nearly that whole range with germanium, or else a blue-enhanced Si and an ordinary InGaAs. The hardware would be a bit of a challenge since the bandwidth is more than an octave, so that the diffracted orders would overlap. (It's a lot like having a tuning range more than twice the IF in a receiver.) You'd have to use a filter wheel or else cross-dispersion with another grating, and at that point it's probably easier to use two spectrometers. I have an Ocean Optics one that I quite like.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh, and when checking references, if you get good ones be sure to ask the names of the CE's people that worked on those projects. They'll always give out their 'A' team's customers, but you may get the 'B' or 'C' teams.

In our case, the guy who did the lock-in and encoder work was their CTO, so presumably the 'B' team is worse. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's impressive how many people are really bad at electronic design.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

Thanks. There are lessons here for everyone.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Wow! Thanks, nice story. I've half dreamed of making a cheap spectrometer with a grating and rotation stage/ worm drive... figuring if you always turn it in one direction the backlash won't be a problem... I never thought about the grease!

Re digital LI: Color me ignorant, but my first idea would be to multiply the signal and ref. in software... is there a reason that is a bad idea?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ocean optics makes some cheaper spectrometers. But I think you are being a bit greedy on the wavelength range. In fact I think you are limited to an octave, because you'll get higher order peaks... but I'm not sure. (Phil will set me straight... or I'll pull out "Building Scientific Apparatus")

Hmm I was wrong about the octave thing

(not a great website... lotsa feel good video.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold