Design of exploding control panels

And what's the ROHS status of dilithium crystals anyhow?

John

Got it! ;-) (no problem on the arithmetic; all I asked for was the conversion factor anyway. ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sorry, I'm only reporting what I saw on my own military records.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

More complex than that. What we see is the idealized version of transporter technology.

In real Star Trek Life a person stands on the pad and is scanned. An identical replica is created at the beam-to point, and upon confirmation of safe arrival the originals are taken off the pad and shot before being dumped into the recycle plants. Of course, only the engineers know of this because the people who beamed down have no memory of what happened to their originals.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I expect scifi watchers would not like the real sort of blowup that might happen where there's not a lot of jumping, but a great deal of faces on fire screaming.

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

kinda dumb to route all that energy through a control panel. Obviously,Enterprise was not designed with battle damage repairs in mind.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not to mention any shock wave from vaporized material. Or ablation from backscattered radiation Or EMP hitting your metal fillings

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - My new book - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It was 'designed' to entertain the viewers. People would have been bored shitless if nothing ever caused the Captain and the crew a problem.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

"Scattering a man's atoms all over the universe is no way to travel"

Well, at least you don't get groped and have to take off your shoes.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Until Starfleet has it's own version of the TSA, to screen you before you can blow up a transporter. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I seem to recall there were some episodes where the transporter automatically detects and disables "unauthorized" weapons, somehow? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On the contrary, it was designed exceedingly well. All the repairs were done just in the nick of time. Nothing wasted. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Or they walked on, from the space dock.

What do you think the computers are doing while the transporter has all your atoms scattered about?

Reply to
krw

Hopefully not executing data due to a buffer overflow :-)

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I'd rather be out on a space platform with five lovely ladies, drinking champagne like in "Our Man Flynt". I guess getting back down is a different 'trek'.

Or on a Planet called Tralfamador.

Reply to
TralfamadoranJetPilot

You think Starfleet uses Windows?

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

transporters seem to ignore phasers,disruptors and other weapons that people brought aboard Enterprise. Note in the Star Trek 3 movie,when the Klingon prize crew beams aboard Enterprise,they don't get "disarmed" by the transporter. If it had that capability,it would make a great security tool. So,instead, Kirk has -his- crew beam off the ship and the self-destruct blows up the Enterprise,taking the Klingon prize crew with it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And they didn't need $5 million dollars worth of test equipment, either. :)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It is supposed to filter out all known biological hazards, but I was talking about someone trying to destroy a transporter.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or that they would put up with another 'Harry Mudd'?