exploding mice.....

Well, here is one for the books. No damage done, but about as strange as it gets. I was up late tonight using the computer with my logitech wireless mouse. I hear this snap noise, and this sputtering hissing noise. I went to grab electrical cords thinking a Power supply let loose in something. I could not find the offender but kept listening. The noise was coming from the wireless mouse! It still had the LED showing on the bottom, but it was flickering some. I thought to my self, how and the hell could a mouse with two AA batteries make a noise like that? Well, took the battery cover off. closer inspection showed that one of the duracell procell battery's had Grey goo hissing out of the positive end of the battery. I have NEVER seen a AA battery do that before. replaced the battery and the mouse was fine. Go figure... They were some i had laying around with a 2008 code date on them.

bob

Reply to
bob

I've had Duracells leak in two pieces of equipment I own. It damaged one of them, and Duracell had to replace part of the item (an Olympus dictating machine).

I don't use Duracells. I use Eveready and Toshiba.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There's a trick you can do to someone with a USB corded mouse, a low watt resistor and some innards from a smoke bomb.

Reply to
Meat Plow

There's been a problem with counterfeit Duracell batteries for many years:

Yi also had counterfeit Duracell batteries that could explode.

Trainer says he saw counterfeit Duracell batteries for sale at local supermarkets and drugstores recently. He turned the package over, he said, "and the word 'China' was misspelled."

60,000 counterfeit Duracell batteries have recently been found by Cook county sheriff?s police in a warehouse in Elk Grove Village. The counterfeits looked authentic having the copper tops and the shooting star on the packaging. The way the fakes differed from genuine Duracell?s was their potential to explode and also to cause brain damage.

A few years ago, a friend tested two types of batteries sold by Costco, Duracell and Kirkland using his CBA II tester. I'm too lazy to find the emailed results, but as I recall, Duracell were just barely above the specified capacity, while the cheaper Kirkland house brand were well above spec.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

mine has done that twice now, once while I was sitting here and once while I was away, clear liquid from the cell..

Something strange happens now and then that shorts the cell.

I have one of the early model Logitech wireless Ir dual systems.

Reply to
Jamie

exploding rats

N_Cook

Some rodents can't burp, belch or fart. Just feed them some bicarbonate of soda, and stand back ...

(no don't do it, I didn't tell you to do it, you did it, ah, ok - what happened?)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I was always told that food producers often put out plates of coca cola or pepsi and each morning would come in and gather up the dead rodents. All killed without toxic chemicals, well at least in most peoples opinions

Reply to
Robert Macy

Hi!

Well, that's a good thing. At least nothing was damaged and nobody was hurt (apart from the battery).

It's actually quite impressive the amount of current that a shorted (or damaged) alkaline battery will produce. Such a battery can't sustain that sort of energy discharge for very long, but they will put off a LOT of heat for a few seconds--maybe even some light!

NiMH and NiCad batteries have much higher energy storage capacity, and would probably be even more "interesting".

I've had about equal luck with all the major battery brands, and even some surprisingly good results from "store brand" batteries. Sometimes you just get a bad one...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Not all of them. It depends on their capacity.

I would be more correct to say that NiMH and NiCad cells have an even lower sournce impedance.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Reply to
Meat Plow