Dependent sources transformations

I'm writing a circuit simulation program as an exercise adn I'm using the nodal method. I'm currently facing a problem with dependent sources though. Voltage-controlled current sources are fine, but the other three types of dependent sources pose some problems.

I do remember finding some transformations in a book that would convert any type to the voltage-controlled current source type but can't find them.

Can someone provide them?

Reply to
sert

Ever heard of Thevenin (or Norton ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

        Change?  Change?  Change?  Can you spare a quarter?

Perhaps you refer to Norton and Thévenin equivalent circuits. Read

and its first few links. Also, if you are a novice or have rather simple questions, post in sci.electronics.basics rather than sci.electronics.design.

--
jiw
Reply to

Goodbye, Norton 'Honeymooner' Carney dead at 85, in November,2003. Art Carney, the funniest sewer worker in New York history and the sidekick who pushed Jackie Gleason's comic star to the heavens in the timeless sitcom "The Honeymooners," has died.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whatever happened to real slapstick ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

It took not only talent, but a sense of timing and good material, unlike today's so called comics who think comedy is nothing more than a few dirty jokes. Like one old comic said on TV a couple years ago, "Do you know how hard it is to find a good rubber chicken, these days?" No wonder the new comics don't know real comedy!

BTW, If I want dirty jokes, I'll watch more of the political ads.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Fuck, NO! If you're doing this as an "exercise", then tracking them down is a fundamental part of the exercise itself.

And most of us frown on doing other people's homework for them - it keeps them from learning what they're supposed to be learning.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

As you state, voltage-controlled current sources are straightforward to include in the nodal formulation. The source injects a current G(Va-vB) into node N and extracts the same current from node M. This means that you have to add a term -G·Va+G·Vb to the M-th KCL (*) equation and a term G·Va-G·Vb to the N-th KCL equation.

For a VCVS, you have to define an additional unknown Is, which is the current that flows through the voltage source. In the M-th KCL you have to add a term +Is and a -Is term to the N-th equation. Since you have added an unknown, you have to add an equation: V(M)-V(N)=mu(Va-Vb).

For a CCCS, you have to define two different nodes Vc and Vd between which the controlling current flows. You introduce an unknown Ix which has to be added in both equations. The additional equation you have to write is then Vc=Vd.

Finally the CCVS is a combination of both ideas, you have to add two additional unknowns and write two additional equations.

KCL : Kirchoff's Current Law

Hope this helps. If not,

Pere

Reply to