Datasheet writing Software

Hi all,

I want to write datasheet for a product. Is there any software support typical datasheet writing?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Best regards, Davy

Reply to
Davy

What I look for in a datasheet is complete information, not snazzy layout. Worry about looks _after_ you've accomplished quality content. As for the software, all the datasheets that I've ever seen look like they could be done on a good word processor or on a simple desktop publishing program.

I'd just use what I always use: OpenOffice.org Writer

but Word would work just as well. If I were selling products instead of services and I had a tech writer who wanted to get PageMaker or some equivalent I'd probably spring for it in a minute.

If you need to write a gazillion of them make a nice template after you've done a dozen or so.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Oh, is there a specialized IC for writing data sheets? Who makes it? What's the part number?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

--
Try Microsoft Word?
Reply to

First they ask for a specialized IC for the slightest little thing and now the same for writing- sort of pathetic.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.] On 19 Sep 2005 07:34:17 -0700, Davy wrote in Msg.

OpenOffice Writer is a good, free, platform-independent word processor that also produces decent PDF output.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I read in sci.electronics.design that "Joe G (Home)" wrote (in ) about 'Datasheet writing Software', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

11-999 Produce ECOs to actually make the damn thing manufacturable.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Microsoft Word & Visio (which includes nice stock of electronic symbols) would be more than sufficient.

-Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Don't laugh - doxygen can generate a user manual from your code:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think, LaTeX can be a good option too, but you will need some learning before writing a decent document with it.

Regards, Jorge

"Davy" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Jorge Sánchez

I don't know of any, but sounds like it might be possible. There are programs that will generate poetry. I think I might have seen the results of one that could generate random resumes.

I wrote a program once that would generate reasonable values for my meals when traveling. I would give it mean values for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus a standard deviation and number of days. I'd run it a few times till I got a total I liked, then transfer the numbers to the expense report.

So automatic datasheets, seems like something that someone might want to try. With enough AI, you could run the datasheet generator until it specified an interesting product, then try to build it.

Reply to
xray

AFAIK, there is not.

And I don't think there is any real need for it either.

Assuming you are writing for engineers, they will be more interested in accurate and useful information rather than the style.

If you are writing sales leaflets, then style might be important.

Why not say to your own engineers, "If you were evaluating this product, what do you think you should know about it in order to understand and use it? And write it down."

I'm guessing by your email address that you are oriental. Your writing is not fluent English, so if you want the data sheet in English you should get a native English speaker to check the final text. I've seen quite a few data sheets where the text has been so appallingly bad that it cannot be understood.

The Japanese are particularly prone to writing English text and assuming it is correct or makes sense. See:

Kryten

Why don't you look at the formats of some IC data sheets.

These are quite formal.

Also

To develop a product, you might try this path.

  1. Concept doc
  2. Marketing doc - prelim
  3. Marketing spec - What is hoped to be acheived
  4. Marketing product spec's - more formal marketing spec
  5. Design spec - Take the Marketing product spec and define how you are doing to design the product
  6. Does Design spec meet Marketing spec - if not - go back to 4 and negociate If design spec and maketing spec's agree then continue to 7.
  7. Preliminary Product spec
  8. Does Prelim Product spec meet Market spec and cost/budget/quality and time? - if not - go back to 4 and negociate If Prelim Product spec agrees with Marketing product spec then continue to 9.
  9. Formal Product specification
10 Design / build product.

Data sheets..... are a type of Formal Product Specification..... you should "begin with the end in mind".

Basically the Marketing product spec..... is massaged at each stage with more formal details added at each stage.

If your product specification doesn't meet your marketing specification then... you may have missed the target...

All of these are "living documents" and will change with the design...

With an informal Marketing product spec - you can tease your prosective customers early..... get there feedback and adjust your Marketing spec - where required.... before committing to a prelim product spec.... before formal design has commenced.... it cheeper to do it at this stage than after the product has been built and you missed the target.

JG

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

I use

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

"The Gonzo Utilities are purposely and proudly ~not~ WYSIWYG. They are also somewhat tedious and time consuming and have a rather steep learning curve."

Reply to
JeffM

I read in sci.electronics.design that Stef Mientki wrote (in ) about 'Datasheet writing Software', on Tue, 20 Sep 2005:

No, that's the wrong order. You go to the doc when you've already got a code. Ib your dose.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

A really don't laugh, ... ... but I do think in 2005 this is the world upside down !! Why not generate code form my doc ?

cheers, Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

You can try:

- To write documents including advanced math eq.
- Add illustrations and figures (as .eps).

To make Postscript or PDF of your documents:

- To write MS-Word documents if you need to.

Reply to
pbdelete

use a word processor for the text and do the graphs in a spreadshhet, embed them in the word processor document and print it to a pdf generator etc...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts