Data slicer.

"Engineer" in the military sense - digging trenches, bridging rivers and setting up siege engineers. It comes closer to the modern "sapper".

In France the fire-brigades are (mostly) called sapeurs-pompiers

because they were re-purposed military engineers.

Prospero comes fairly close to the modern phsyicist, perhaps because he was modelled on Dr. John Dee.

Admittedly, Dee was an astrologer, but string theory physicists aren't all that different.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

"Infinity is just a way of reasoning about limits" - Gauss (paraphrased ).

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

This might help, dunno...

Search for TUT5426.pdf from Maxim.

Reply to
John S

Klaus Kragelund

Thanks - is there a PDF button on that page?. My PC is being a PITA, the page froze when I tried to print to PDF.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
The slap still stings, huh?

Just to put things in perspective for those who may have missed the
show of watching feet of clay shatter, you seem to still be reeling
over the fact that you were corrected, years ago, when you stated that
latching relays have infinite gain.

They don't, as you well know, and your attempts at bending the meaning
of "infinite" to the subjective (controlled by you) form you'd like it
to be considered "around here" speaks volumes about your ineptitude
and concommitant hunger for control.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Den torsdag den 7. april 2016 kl. 00.32.32 UTC+2 skrev John Fields:

are you bored? digging up a 2 week old thread just to moan about something pointless, that's just silly

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It's fun to watch... John L is inept... and John F executes clever stab wounds >:-} ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Den torsdag den 7. april 2016 kl. 01.11.29 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

what part of it was clever?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I guess you're too slow-witted to see >:-}

Sorry! Couldn't help myself. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

The definition of "infinite" depends on context and perspective. Sorry if this is too harsh, but to claim it has a firm definition is kind of a Slomanesque non-sequitur.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

he tries to by pointing out what was perfectly obvious from the start, and it fails uselessly.

Lots of people do well here in what they do, and all are caught short at times. It's life, there's far too much in e.eng for any one person to learn it all in one lifetime. I don't care much for the primary school antics myself.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

--
Maybe I'm thick, but I don't get what you're talking about.
Specifically, _what_ was "perfectly obvious"?

--
Not at all harsh/unkind (to me anyway). In its original use in an
article on latching relays here on sed, it was used incorrectly, but

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

It wasn't incorrect. It was a matter of context and perspective.

It's led to nothing but juvanism, surprisingly from the more senior crowd.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I agree with all you said. When I read John's statement, my first thought was that it is not infinite, but sanity took over and I understood what his point was.

Reply to
John S