Cute transformer

I found this inside a cheap AM/FM alarm clock with a smashed display:

I was a bit surprised that there was a transformer inside at all - I expected it to be powered directly off the line. It appears to be a

120:12.6 piece, though I'm not sure of the turns ratio. Rated for 100mA maybe? It seems to do OK running the filaments of a 12AX7 in series, though it becomes a bit warm.
Reply to
bitrex

Looks like a typical 1w mains transformer. Regulation will be dreadful, maybe 25%.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whatcha building with a toob?

It's a never-ending source of astonishment to me how things like transformers just get cheaper and smaller, without getting replaced by semiconductors. At some point it'll happen, but in the mean time winding machines operating in places where labor is cheap seem to be competitive.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Nothing at the moment. Though with 2 of them wired back-to-back for the B+ one could probably make a cool little distortion box with a 12AX7

Reply to
bitrex