custom sound playback for talking dolls

I would like to construct a one-of-a-kind talking doll and I'm trying to find a fairly inexpensive playback device that I can load multiple recorded speech samples onto (and have it play them back randomly). Any suggestions?

Reply to
Brandon Moore

mp3 player D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Define: "fairly inexpensive". How much audio storage. Does it have to be solid-state? Also, I presume you don't want a string in the back you have to pull. :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I don't know. I'd like to not spend more than $40 max, preferably closer to $20. Enough storage for no more than a dozen 3-second phrases should be enough. Not sure how I would get that without going solid-state. Actually, the pull string might add to the kitsch factor of the doll, so maybe I would like a pull string?

Reply to
Brandon Moore

You want to reinvent Chatty Cathy?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Or maybe Talky Tina?

;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Have you checked out Winbond?

They have several families of speech parts besides this one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you want kitsch factor why not have the pull string dangling between the doll's legs like a tampon string?

Reply to
Samantha Pierce-Harder

You could even have a red string

Reply to
Samantha Pierce-Harder

And a recorded sound of squish-pop-splat-flush when pulled, but this isn't kitsch, it's techno-vulgar.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris