Custom instrument labels

I don't think there is a TH resistor in the entire building. There are some TH capacitors but they're pretty big Aluminums and have pretty heavy wire. If I need jumpers I just strip a length of wire.

Reply to
krw

When I do dead bug stuff, the bench is littered with cut-off ends, so it's natural to use them for hooking up just about everything.

If you need links more than an inch long for a proto, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I rarely design in a thru-hole part (except connectors) but we have a bin full of 1/4 watts in the lab, for breadboarding. All the popular values (51 ohms, 1K, like that) disappear first, so I use the oddballs.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have a set of Ohmite 1% resistor drawers from about 1988 that I've been refilling as needed, so I have at least 100 per value (they're mostly the 1% values nearest to the old 5% values).

They're right at my elbow at my bench.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Have you asked the aliexpress enclosure supplier who they like?

Reply to
David Eather

I went with Hammond for the first few (1457L1201EBK). If they sell well, we'll do a cost-reduction pass on the mechanics.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil,

For small quantities -- perhaps larger -- you can pay your local Staples, Office Depot, or whatever to do the job for you.

As for the black background, that just mees the label needs to have a white (or metallic, or whatever) background printed on it instead of leaving that transparent.

Enjoy...

Frank McKenney

--
  My father ... drilled into me from an early age that if someone says
  something is impossible, that just means it will take a bit longer

At IBM we used to do the same (except they were .2W), but that was a long time ago.

Reply to
krw

That's what Cat6 network cable is for---I have a bin of cutoffs, and pull out individual pairs or wires. Of course you have to use the 'long distance', which is solid wire, instead of stranded that is usually used in patch cords.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

We've done that, and the final labels are quite durable and cleanable, which is important in our biomedical environment. The problems are primarily in the adhesion of the paint to the transparency, and to the underlying front panel; and the dissolving of the finer artwork aspects in the paint; and finally the time required to make holes for all the connectors and controls in the rather tough mylar.

Of course this is for products that are _very_ custom, with larger production volumes there are many better alternatives.

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

Thanks, good to know. I got some of ChesterW's inkjet-printable vinyl stick er material and cover sheets. (*) They came out _beautifully_, so that's th e plan of record for the first few dozen units, until BLH gets tired of usi ng X-Acto knives. (This is getting her out of having to stuff boards by han d, so she's fairly pliable.)

I've got the manual mostly done, so once I have a chance to take some prett y-looking performance plots, I'll post the finished product. Should be some time this week.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) They came from an Amazon shop called "Kustom Rides". When my wife saw t hat on the package, she thought I was having a somewhat tardy midlife crisi s. ;)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Have you ever heard of Hallmark? I used to have a shop near there, and I knew some of the workers. I have never dealt with them, but I've seen some samples that looked good. They also made custom membrane switches.

Subject: Spelling Lesson

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson.  Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I used to work with the head engineer at Magnode, to maintain their electronics. I haven't been in that area for quite some time, but I have seen their work. :)

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson.  Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Castings are even cheaper, once you own the tooling. Of course the tooling for a casting costs about 5x that of an extrusion and one size doesn't fit all.

In the US, even. Must be expensive stuff.

Reply to
krw

They made a lot of extrusions for the appliance industry, when I dealt with them. They also mad heat sinks for several well known companies.

--

The last four letters in American.........I Can
The last four letters in Republican.......I Can
The last four letters in Democrats.........Rats

End of lesson.  Test to follow in November, 2016

Remember, November is to be set aside as rodent extermination month.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm pretty sure all of ours are made in China. It's cheaper, even for prototypes. The heasinks for my latest projects have been machined, though.

Reply to
krw