Curve tracers

Hi Tom,

Glad to see you "made it" to the newsgroup here. I've sent you several e-mail messages without a response, but I'm thinking you might be filtering yahoo.com.

Yeah, so much so I'm willing to throw some money your way as soon as you're able to accept it!

Knowing me, if you give some small discount for an "upgrade" to the later version, I'd still buy sooner rather than later.

I was surprised at the price differential between the kit and the assembled version; I figured the assembled version "upcharge" was more because you were doing it yourself (rather than being able to hire, e.g., a contract manufacturer to do it if you had enough volume) and therefore had to charge the "opportunity cost" rather than just a labor fee.

I think most people can assembly surface mount down to about 25 mil lead spacing and 0603 discretes without too many problems or special tools and given a little practice. Nothing wrong with through-hole, though.

Analaog Is Good.

Sounds good, thanks for the information.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Mr. Thompson,

That is an excellent suggestion. I will make it so.

Implementing that, and having software to automatically get the datapoints and create a Spice model from them, seems like it could practically create entire new worlds of functionality for both Spice and the Curve Tracer, as a combined tool.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Tom Gootee

I love to whine at the cook; sometimes even about the food. [Not really.]

Reply to
tomg

the

Great! Keep me posted.

My oldest son and I have done that for Bipolar devices. Looks like we better start thinking of making BSIM3V3 models from your data. Retirement income ;-)

I just read about Denise :-(

Cancer is such a nasty thing. We lost our youngest son, at 33, this past April, to colon cancer.

...Jim Thompson

Absolutely... this is actually a pretty common feature of high-end network analyzer/data analysis suites; it'd be a great benefit to expand it to the mere mortal world of tools!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

ore

oo)

Well, a big old tube-based audio amplifier comes to mind, for boosting a small curve tracer's capabilities! But you might need to use a couple of strategically-placed resistors, etc, and maybe do a little arithmetic to scale the results (and maybe take the risk of damaging the little curve tracer, if a mistake is made).

I do love my Tek 575, though. I got it for next to nothing, because it was "broken". All that was wrong with it was a broken fan mount, which a few plastic zip-ties fixed in minutes. To be fair, though, to me it IS very big, and very heavy. I would sure hate to have to pack it to be guaranteed to survive UPS shipping! And it does take a few minutes to warm up to where it's really stable. But, I have never had to reboot it.

Regards,

Tom Gootee

Reply to
tomg

the

_> I just read about Denise :-(

_> Cancer is such a nasty thing. We lost our youngest son, at 33, this _> past April, to colon cancer.

Jim,

I'm so very sorry about your son. I hate that anyone else even has to know what it's like to lose someone that way. It's difficult beyond words.

(BTW, I tried to email you, via your website, from a Yahoo email account.)

Tom

Reply to
tomg

hugging the

of

I received it. I'm still at the fall-apart-and-cry stage. Some day I'll be able to compose my thoughts, as you have done.

...Jim Thompson

hugging the

limitations of

Unfortunately, I understand.

I'm so terribly sorry.

It WILL get better. But it will take some time.

- Tom

Reply to
tomg