Current sensing to computer...

Hi,

I'm looking for mains 0.1 - 150A range current sensors with some kind of computer interface: 1-wire, RS232/485 / Ethernet etc...

Induction (transformer) or Hall type, one or three phase.

Not high accuracy, 5% would be ok. Hopefully not too expensive ;-)

Thanks a lot for any hint, URL or comment.

regards

Geir

Reply to
Geir

Current transformer into sound card?

John

There are a few models of digital clamp meter that have an RS232 interface. They cost a few hundred dollars though.

For 5% accuracy I'd look at buying cheap analog clamp meters and feeding the reading to an ADC, perhaps reading the voltage across the meter movement, maybe replacing the meter movement with an equivalent resistor. There are lots of options for adc to computer. For one off small scale test projects I like the Velleman K8055 kit, connects to a USB port, has two 8bit analog inputs and some other i/o. Fairly easy to access with vb6, not sure about dotnet etc.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I expect that would work but it would require calibrating with each different model of sound it was used with.

I'v briefly played around with real time audio processing and found the windows API's for getting the real time sound data fto be horrid but that may just be me, it's not worth me spending enough time to be good at windows software when rentacoder.com gets it done cheaply.

Obviously there has to be a sense resistor on the secondary of the current transformer.

From a safety point of view I'd want to buy the current sensing part off the shelf.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

A really stupid and el-cheapo unit would be: Use a 6V or 12V filament transformer from RadioShack and strip off the secondary, therby leaving plenty of space for 1 turn; this will give about a 1000 to 1 ratio. Terminate primary in a FWB with a 100 ohm load feeding the RS-232 port.

Reply to
Robert Baer