cool drawing (pun!)

I might need a deep-drawn enclosure to package some optical stuff, and one of the manufacturers sent me this, along with a quote:

Note the date! And it's been revised 20 times!

Incidentally, there are a bunch of Youtube videos about deep drawing aluminum. It's amazing.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

Looks like it woud make a air to midling beer glass. Maybe, in one of its sizes.

Reply to
jurb6006

21 times.. they missed numbering the bottom one on the RHS. Most of the revisions were to add new available lengths. One (9) to change from fractions to decimal inches, and one (4) to add a cover.

Quite the opposite of deep drawing, but I recently saw a process demo'd that can produce shallow pans having closed corners without welding.. directly forming the corners one at a time, then shearing off excess metal.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Stress-free" bending? I ain't no meekanique but i sez IMMPOSSYBALL. Just 'splain how any bending of any non-liquid can be stress free.

Reply to
Robert Baer

*I* didn't say it was stress-free. That slick looking salesman over there is the one you want to talk to. They may be talking about the rolling vs. die forming relative differences.

It is cool and appears to work quite well (also the thing is rather quiet acoustically).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can see that (about it being cool and appears to work quite well). If one bends aluminum or steel with radius limited to its thickness or less, one creates extreme stress and possible cracking. I think that bend radius of 3 times thickness may be an "allowable" minimum; been over 30 years since i have done that so do not remember. Annealing with heat can mitigate that (yes, the implication is that no heating is involved). Maybe bending slowly (10 minutes) can help, and perhaps current pulses for heating during movement are the tricks used.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you bend it extremely quickly, you can heat it up enough to anneal. ;-)

I actually doubt any metal exists which is so ductile as to allow that much heating before it crumbles by fatigue. Friction is most commonly applied to facilitate such matters (see friction stir welding, etc.).

There is legend of the blacksmith having his apprentice beat on a piece of cold metal long enough to start fire in the hearth. If there was any truth to this, it was most likely started with some assistance (e.g., gun powder).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

We have zillions of new black plastic polycases in similar but assorted rectangular sizes that I would like to phase out. Say at nine cents each, you pick you ship.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

We have zillions of new black plastic polycases in similar but assorted rectangular sizes that I would like to phase out. Say at nine cents each, you pick you ship.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

I wish I could show a drawing I got from a customer. It has an old HP logo on it. The subject is remote from anything they do nowadays.

Martin Riddle