Constant-current LEDs?

Apparently the channel conduction can be enhanced significantly with a positive VGS, the output characteristic showing over 5mA at VGS 1.0V for the 1.6mA IDSS part. How come you don't make use of that feature in your April Fool's circuits...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Zetex is owned by Diodes Inc. It hasn't been Ferranti for some time.

Reply to
krw

I've never used a depletion fet... I'm sure it's easy to get them started. :^)

Oh come on, be nice. Fred just posted a nice little circuit, with an led or two, it might fit someone's bill.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Sketch it up and we can discuss it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

e,

ift

ce

the

rs.

ey

What does "silicon epoxy" mean? Silicon is an element, silicones can be use d to make polymeric resins, and epoxy resins can be used to make - other - different polymers. There are plenty of other compounds that could be used to make plastic packages, if they had the right properties (which most of t hem don't).

Zetex have always offered relatively high-powered plastic-packaged small tr ansistors, but were never very forthcoming about why they could dissipate m ore power than the competition.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

/April_Fool_Lim_2.JPG

it is obsolete and unavailable...

John Larkin doesn't design electronics himself - he just fiddles with circu its until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes him a fo rtnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can't reco gnise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that it mig ht go on without customers to buy the product.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

rs/April_Fool_Lim_2.JPG

ay it is obsolete and unavailable...

cuits until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes him a fortnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can't re cognise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that it m ight go on without customers to buy the product.

Bill, why do you say things like that?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

He's complaining that I'm not slow, as if slow is some virtue.

And he seems to be complaining that I have customers, as if that's some vice.

lunatic fringe electronics

say it is obsolete and unavailable...

ircuits until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes him a fortnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can't recognise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that it might go on without customers to buy the product.

Because John makes a habit of complaining that other people aren't designin g electronics, or haven't posted an electronic design that he's found inter esting recently. Since he posts a much off-topic junk as everybody else, an d the electronics he does post is tolerably simple-minded, I find this irri tating, and figure that he needs to get snarked back at from time to time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

s say it is obsolete and unavailable...

se

circuits until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes him a fortnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can't recognise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that i t might go on without customers to buy the product.

See reaction to George Herold.

John Larkin understands simple and quick, but has a blank spot when it come s to more complicated electronic design that can take longer to satisfy mor e demanding requirements.

He can't even be bothered to design special purpose transformers that he'd have to get wound. "Slow" isn't a virtue, though careful design can look sl ow to people who don't understand what's going on.

Boasting about it frequently is a vice. What I actually said was that you d on't seem to be able to understand that people can design stuff for the fun of it, without customers to drive the process, though it becomes an expens ive hobby if you are inclined to design stuff complicated enough to be inte resting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

rs say it is obsolete and unavailable...

or

an

use

circuits until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes hi m a fortnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can' t recognise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that it might go on without customers to buy the product.

Only Jamie would be stupid enough to make such a claim.

What would Jamie know about design, good or bad?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Guess that is why you are where you are now, no where.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Becuase he can't do it an he knows it.

A good designer can do the majority of it in their heads.

Slugman hasn't got any room up there for that, because its full of BS.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

A lot of stuff can be done in your head, like pullups or simple RC filters and such. Maybe even use a calculator.

Spice is usually a lot easier and more thorough than a page full of equations, especially when nonlinearities and complex (sometimes black-box) device models are involved. Given a Spice sim, component values can usually be wild-guessed and then tuned for performance.

A lot of modern designs put the signal processing in a uP or an FPGA, so you can design the schematic and lay out the board before all the math is done... as long as you are confident that it *can* be done.

We're just now designing basically a smart SSR, where an FPGA will handle the mosfet protections and do BIST. All we need to do now is ensure that we're safely in the ballpark to protect the parts and meet specs; we can do the numbers, and test it, later.

You don't need cuts and jumpers to change code.

I suspect that Sloman is mentally stuck in the academic, prepare for publishing, pages-of-symbolic-math, work on one thing for years tradition. Engineering is really about numbers, not about symbolic relationships. It's about getting stuff done and documented and into production quickly, then moving on to something else.

lunatic fringe electronics

And the French got RCA - its hard to keep up.

Reply to
Ian Field

That will work with you son, but Bill takes something stronger. He did not even recognize it was a rhetorical question.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Sloman is astonishingly literal, to the point of mental disability.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thinking that 'truth' means 'literal truth' is the opposite of a mental disability.

Reply to
whit3rd

claims describe you very well.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

cuits until he gets something that seems to work. Typically it takes him a fortnight to get a "new" product. Real design takes longer, and he can't re cognise the process when somebody else does it, and can't imagine that it m ight go on without customers to buy the product.

There's that childishness again that I was talking about.

Reply to
tabbypurr