connecting SOIC to SMA

Hello,

I have a 67Mhz square wave (TTL 0-5V), coming off a 50 ohm coax line that I would like to feed into the clock pin on a SOIC freq divider chip. I'm a bit of a novice in this area, is there a slick way to do this without putting together a small PCB? Maybe adapt the SOIC to a DIP and then go from there somehow? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As a side note I've never put together a custom PCB myself, but perhaps given the simplicity of the situation this is the way to go? Any suggestions on tutorials for this design process would be helpful. Thanks,

Kevin

Reply to
kevin.powers03

Get yourself a piece of copper-clad PCB material and make the circuit dead-bug on this - just use the copper surface as ground, and solder the components to this where necessary. Put little surface-mount capacitors for decoupling. At

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to go the copper-clad dead-bug route, question though regarding the soldering. I'm going to use a SOIC to DIP adapter to get larger pin spacings. Would you just solder the wire runs directly to the DIP pins or are there any nice plugs or something to interface between the two to make things easier? Thanks again.

Kevin

Reply to
kevin.powers03

You can hand wire a SOIC to a DIP header pretty easily with bare wire-wrap wire. It's not that hard to do the dead bug thing for a simple circuit.

--
Mark
Reply to

If it were me, I would avoid the adapters etc. and solder to the SOIC directly. This will tend to give better performance. At 67MHz, and with only digital signals you may get away with using the adapter, but you should be looking to keep the wires short, for example try to achieve a ground connection (from the chip to the groundplane) of say less than 6mm (about 1/4").

If the pin spacing is 0.050" then you shouldn't have particular difficulty in soldering directly to the SOIC. With that size of chip you can use 0603 size components e.g. for decoupling capacitors. If the pin spacing is finer than 0.050" or you need to use 0402 components then a binocular microscope makes things easier and you will need a good soldering iron. For de-soldering, e.g. when you want to move a component it helps to have two soldering irons.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones