Connecting boards at right angles

Maybe near enough yes if you mean millimetre. If you mean thousandth of an inch (which I would call thou to avoid confusion with millimetres) then you may end up disappointed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

That looks scary. It will be fragile once the two boards are broke apart.

lunatic fringe electronics

Shouldn't be bad it they're many dozens of connections. I'm working on an instance with 60 to 100 wires.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 04:51:16 +1100, Chris Jones Gave us:

Air dielectric strength is 1000V per mil, dufus. It seems to have been reduced at some point, however. I am now seeing numbers like 76.2V

Still placing a 100 mil space at over 7600 volts.

And I confused nothing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's a megavolt per inch.

It seems to have

Blame global warming.

lunatic fringe electronics

Cable elastance used to be (maybe still is) measured in megadarafs per

1000 feet.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Of course the unit was named to honour the Englishman Yadaraf Leahcim.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Weird they left off the leading Ya... If I named a similar unit in honor of you it would be the fhany... A megafhany sounds like my sort of women. :^) (To those of the gentler persuasion, please excuse my crass joke)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh, not decades. Look up Hansen's collection of binary alloys, and the 63/37 mix is immediately seen to be the eutectic (lowest melting point) of tin/lead. It's the first alloy you'd test.

Reply to
whit3rd

A pefhany is 1e-12 of a fhany.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes, and when it is broken off, it is in the same production step as assembly, so it will be "controlled" all the way. And, it can actually endure quite a lot of abuse

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

That's the whole point. Place the jumpers, break the boards on the score, and bend to suit.

That would probably be my choice.

Reply to
krw

I think you wouldn't last very long and inch from a 500kV power line, if you were connected to earth.

Just as a reality check, how far have you ever seen an EHT arc initiate in a CRT television? I have seen a good fraction of an inch. There are about 25kVs in a television, and about 25 millimetres in an inch. So about 1kV per millimetre, or at least that order of magnitude.

I will admit that there seems to be a lower threshold where breakdown voltage is not proportional to spacing, e.g. whilst 1kV per millimetre is 1V per micron, it seems that very small gaps can withstand more, e.g. a 5 micron gap can probably withstand much more than 5 Volts. maybe this is because it takes the ions some distance to get up to enough speed to make more ions, but I don't know.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

If the flex-rigid route looks too expensive, we had a sales rep in recently who showed us an alternative approach to the usual kapton film

- the PCB is made from regular FR4, then all but the last 0.1mm or so is milled away, leaving a flexible section. It does limit you to one layer in the flex section, so if you need a ground plane under your board-to- board tracks it's probably not suitable. No idea what the minimum bend radius is either.

Just remembered who made it :

(we mostly use them for magnetics).

HTH

Reply to
RBlack

On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 13:21:01 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

A Kardashifhany 1e12 times larger than a standard fhany. That's why black rappers loved it so much.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

re

-

I once had the same idea. AFAIR the bend radius is about 10mm, with max 10 counts of bending the PCB back and forth (which is enough for production). We went another route, so it never went into production

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund