computer repair

People have been giving me old computers and I have a stockpile of them. I figured out how to change the screen resolution from 16 to 256 colors. I just have to locate and download the driver for the video card. So I got all the display resolution problems fixed. One PC didn't have any USB ports. The only card I could find for Windows 98 was a low profile. So I got that and jerry rigged it so it would fit in a regular profile slot. I had to find the driver for that, too. Then I had to find the drivers for all of the modems. I got that done. Then I downloaded Open Office version

2.3.1 to work on Windows 98.

I have a Windows 7, a Windows XP and two Windows 98 machines all networked together so I can transfer files back and forth between machines. It saves on floppies/CD's

Reply to
Jon

Ever heard of USB? What about "memory sticks"?

The only disks I burn are new Linux releases and the new Windows 8 preview I got just the other day...

And only then because I haven't started loading them up onto sticks yet, which is the new trend.

I wonder if I plugged a USB port floppy drive into my iPad if it would even work at all.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you want to use generic USB storage devices on Windows 98 Second Edition you *NEED* the Maximus Decim USB drivers. As vanishingly few storage devices have Win98 drivers available and Microchip didn't build in generic support, its pretty much impossible without a third party driver like Maximus Decim's one. With it, *MOST* storage devices that dont exceed the allocation unit limitations of Win98 SE work satisfactorily. I can even burn DVDs from a Win98 SE machine using Nero 6 and a Samsung external drive if I am really feeling crazy!

To find the drivers, start here:

Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL
Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you want to use generic USB storage devices on Windows 98 Second Edition you *NEED* the Maximus Decim USB drivers. As vanishingly few storage devices have Win98 drivers available and Microchip didn't build in generic support, its pretty much impossible without a third party driver like Maximus Decim's one. With it, *MOST* storage devices that dont exceed the allocation unit limitations of Win98 SE work satisfactorily. I can even burn DVDs from a Win98 SE machine using Nero 6 and a Samsung external drive if I am really feeling crazy!

To find the drivers, start here:

Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

This is the 4-port USB card I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R3M7XM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Here is where I found the driver for it:

http://www.drivers-download.com

I installed the driver for Windows 98 and then the USB card worked.  When I
plugged in the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse (USB), I had it search for the
driver on C:\windows\system or C:\windows\system32 and the mouse installed.
Reply to
Jon