Common mode noise suppression

I have three cables to a radio receiver. One is power, one ground and one is digital data from the receiver. I have interference to the receiver from a grounded casing which contains high speed processors and other noisy devices. I believe the noise is transferred to the receiver via common mode (but cannot be sure) If I wrap all three wires through and round a toroid ferrite it helps. If I remove the grounded metal casing the problem disappears. I have to have the metal casing, the receiver has to go in the same casing as the other components, the position of the receiving antenna makes no difference, the receiver is itself in a tinned can...help! Anyone? Dave

Reply to
Dave

You probably need something like this

or this

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

The cables probably provide a return path for parasitic currents that follow the basic capacitive current relation:

I =3D C dv/dt

Your common mode ferrite probably forces the parasitic currents to take some other less harmful path. More effective remedies usually involve reducing dv/dt, reducing capacitance, or shunting parasitic currents through low impedance structures, i.e., shields.

There is lots of dv/dt associated with your clocked circuitry and/or any switchmode power supplies. You'd like to have such currents flow in as short a path as possible, well away from any sensitive 'victim' circuits. One way to accomplish this is to add an additional shield around the radiating circuitry, connecting that shield to the local ground. Another remedy is to reduce dv/dt by slowing down rise and fall times and eliminating ringing.

Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Use a twisted pair balanced line driver system to start with.. also, use a shielded cable with grounded shield at one end only..

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to